Help Identifying Old Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TN-Steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Gang,

Just picked this up (mainly for curiosity value) and am trying to figure out exactly what it is. It was billed as "US Divers / Aqualung" on ebay. Now I'll admit that the bottom of the first stage look a lot like a Conshelf, but as for the actual model both I and the owner of the shop I manage (who has been doing this since the 60's) are stumped.

I'm looking forward to taking this apart, figure out exactly how they made it so small. It's obviously a diaphragm reg, but that spring must be just a coil or so long to make it fit.

As always, SB rocks.

Steve
Reg2.jpg
Reg1.jpg
Reg1.jpg

We used to have our skis engraved with our names years back. Made for a slight ice breaker on the chairlift ride with a stranger. I never realized how popular the name "Rental" was..... ironically, I only ever came across it on the slopes...

It is a JM Cousteau Royal Aqua-lung Model # 1014-00

The first stage is basically a Conshelf/Titan in a different skin. The same parts kit fits both- with the exception of the LP ports...if I remember correctly, these have 1/2 LP ports, not 3/8. The second stage on the other hand was a real oddball, it was a one of a kind balanced (overly complicated) second stage.

I have parts and service manuals for both, shoot me a PM is you would like copies.

USD Royal. My late wife won one for me in a dive shop grand opening raffle back in '81 or '82. Second stage was tricky to tune and was eventually recalled & replaced. It was my primary regulator 'til the replacement second stage developed cracks a few years ago.

regulators_zpsa1f3c75a.jpg

I just picked up one of these on craigs list. After I got it I was told by a dive shop that there had been a problem with the first stage, and they had been recalled, and shouldn't be used.
Does anyone have any info relating to these regulators??

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom