Thinking about Scuba. But nervous!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k, I do recall you saying a ways back that you weren't exactly Mark Spitz (or that other guy that wins all the Gold now). You are to be commended for sticking to it--I assume you are probably a better swimmer than me now, since you passed the DM 400 test and I haven't swam laps since doing that in 2010. To be honest, I would more advise those interested in scuba (even DSD) to get basic swim stroke(s) down first and be comfortable--as it is a good idea anyway when doing anything in water over 3 feet or so. My (future then) wife, while in college about 45 years ago was offered a FREE chance to jump out of a plane. She did it to possibly overcome her fear of heights.....When literally kissing the ground she figured it wasn't the best idea. Well, she said to me it actually was "the stupidest thing I ever did", and still has the fear. But then again, we're all different.

k, I do recall you saying a ways back that you weren't exactly Mark Spitz (or that other guy that wins all the Gold now). You are to be commended for sticking to it--I assume you are probably a better swimmer than me now, since you passed the DM 400 test and I haven't swam laps since doing that in 2010. To be honest, I would more advise those interested in scuba (even DSD) to get basic swim stroke(s) down first and be comfortable--as it is a good idea anyway when doing anything in water over 3 feet or so. My (future then) wife, while in college about 45 years ago was offered a FREE chance to jump out of a plane. She did it to possibly overcome her fear of heights.....When literally kissing the ground she figured it wasn't the best idea. Well, she said to me it actually was "the stupidest thing I ever did", and still has the fear. But then again, we're all different.

Absolutely. I am getting up in my years now though I am still relatively young. I am at the age now where I am seeing things in real time verses my own views.

What I mean is I am a dive master. I don't claim to be neither the worst nor the best. I don't claim I know more then an open water diver because I am a dive master nor do I claim I know less then an instructor. I have learned to be happy with who I am and learn for all the right reasons which is self satisfaction and to continually strive to be a leader through being myself around others who share common interest.

All too often we see in this field Dive Professionals boasting to be the best of the best or even presenting their self as such through conversations or body language. People don't come to us to be looked down on they come to us because they have a desire to learn. They need a confident person to show them that its OK to be new and not know things. Its OK to ask questions and not expect to be laughed at. Its OK to mess up and say oops what did I do wrong and how can I fix it.

In this field there is no room for arrogance and many forget that. Scuba is one of the safest sports on the planet with very few accidents. So few in fact that when one does happen it is instantly international grade news which causes some people to fear it just based off of the few incidents they hear about. When you factor in there are few laws governing the sport (At least in the U.S. as I cant speak for the rest of the world) its impressive that we have little oversight yet we are so self sustaining without many laws to the point we have no issues.

This field requires patience and that's very important. A person comes to you in tears saying they want to learn to scuba but they are deathly afraid of breathing under water for example. We don't laugh and tell them how stupid that is but instead it helps to sit and learn about them and where the fear originates. Maybe not jump immediately in to the pool but let them take a few breathes off the regulator. After we have done the required skills and class portions we then let them sit in the shallows and place their face in the water and breath for a bit. We don't just push them in to deeper water immediately. Its all about working at their level.

And as for learning I don't think in any shape or form or fashion I am a strong swimmer at all. Right now I probably would be lucky to swim 20 feet before exhaustion. Its not that I don't stay in shape. Its just I don't swim much. I wear 35 pounds of gear a day sometimes more for 8 to 16 hours a day depending on the day and such so yes I get my work out regularly but just not in the pool. I am proud of my achievements and of all the things I teach and do I hold my dive master rating as my lifetimes greatest achievement simply because I beat what I considered impossible odds to get it.

Jumping out of an airplane is another story. If I ever went sky diving Id be in prison afterwords for beating the pilot for making me jump out of a plane (It would have to be going down with no other hope before I would jump) and anyone else who could have talked me out of going up to begin with LOL

Ken Ellis you are right on with your comments

Isn't it time to kill this thread ? 33 comments with no response from the OP !

It is winter time in Southern Indiana where she lives and I suspect her thoughts and current interest are on anything other that learning SCUBA diving

SDM

k, Agree on all points. I was very lucky in my 4 years assisting courses in that with a rare exception situation here or there, none of the instructors I assisted did anything but encourage students. As well, the fact that we both are apparently in the same "swimming shape" now raises the old question of whether swim tests for DMs and instructors should be re-done every so often. I vote no, but many would disagree.

Sam, You have a good point but some of us (especially retirees) tend to beat stuff to death on SB as an alternative to even wasting more time watching TV.

I have seen several people get into diving over the years because their significant other (how I dislike that term) was getting into it. Usually, it can be a ticket to shared adventure. Sometimes it causes a fracture in the relationship. I once had a new diver that was terrified of the water but wanted to learn to dive because her husband was doing it and she was afraid that "he would be having fun without her." While assisting her to shore after a panic during a surface bc removal and replacement drill this all came pouring out. I suggested that they find another activity they could do together (hiking, square dancing, bowling) as a couple. I have witnessed too much abuse of the reluctant diver by the gung ho diver. Would you be doing this but for your mate's interest? If your response is "yes" welcome to a wonderful activity that many couples have a great time sharing. If your response is "no", find something other than diving to do together. I do agree with the comments about snorkeling in a pool and discover diving courses as the way to get used to things. I have taught snorkeling and fin swimming and it is a way to get used to having your face in the water, submerging, etc. Hope it works out for you whatever you decide.

covediver, I couldn't agree more. Even in my limited time with courses I saw the "reluctant" significant other, though nothing serious or gut wrenching.

My boyfriend is getting into scuba as well as his dad. His dad is already certified as well as his step mom. And I want to get into it as well. But I am super nervous about it.
What tips do you have for a new diver? I am going to do the discover scuba but I feel like I will have a panic attack! I want to do it Because I love trying new things but its a daunting thing to get into. I am into horse back riding, mountain biking, kayaking, and the likes. Adding scuba would be amazing.
What's the advice out there for people like me?​

Your first step would be to learn to love being under water.

Start in a shallow pool (with a dive mask to add some visibility if you prefer). Please do some free diving. Do not hyperventilate (it is a recipe for death). Just breathe in once, then lay down and stay under water, relax, and enjoy the weightlessness. The fancy word for this is static apnea. At some point you will get used to it and you will want to stay submerged a bit longer. It is highly relaxing. As the blood carbon dioxide content (waste gas) increases, you start to feel pelvic thrusts (those are normal during longer free dives). You body wants to get rid of the **it in your lungs. If you suddenly realize you like this then you can become a free diver. It's a sport. Otherwise, scuba gear, allowing breathing under water, will be a great relief and you will enjoy it. Besides, if you can hold your breath for a minute or two, then you will have more confidence in dealing with the minor troubles of scuba diving. Being nervous, by the way, means you have brains. It is completely normal to be nervous at first, and the nervousness will fade away as your skills increase. And I will reiterate: do not hyperventilate as that would lower the normal carbon dioxide levels in blood so much that there would be no advance warning (feeling of suffocation) before all oxygen is consumed and you pass out. Breathe normally prior to all free diving and please bring a friend who picks you up would you pass out and bubbles escape your mouth (this should not happen within the first one or two minutes at least; and mentioning this is just a standard precaution). So, get used to the water. Relax.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom