First Time Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Placebo or not, I don't care. We definately feel less tired diving Nitrox. The post dive "nitrogen naps" are not anywhere near as long either.

Jay

If the difference in MOD between 33% and 34% might send you into oxtox and kill you you should probably check the mix with several different analyzers, which will all read differently.

I would have gone for the Nitrox because it was my origional plan, and the two tanks cost way less than the four I was planning to buy. This is from someone that almost exclusively dives air.

Bob

How did you feel after diving? There is a rumor that some people feel less tired.
In response to your question. I have done 80 dives on air and nitrox. I found that after the nitrox dive I did feel better and not as tired. I also found that I had better bottom times diving nitrox vs air. It was 33%. I am looking forward to starting a tec course and learn more about advance uses of nitrox.

In response to your question. I have done 80 dives on air and nitrox. I found that after the nitrox dive I did feel better and not as tired. I also found that I had better bottom times diving nitrox vs air. It was 33%. I am looking forward to starting a tec course and learn more about advance uses of nitrox.
Sorry the 80 dives should be 80 feet.

Most rec divers determine their MOD by what their computer tells them it is after they enter their gas mix. As you really should not be pushing to an NDL of "0" as a rec diver, I think ensuring you know your true MOD is more important than knowing exact NDL (1% won't affect NDL much at rec depths - 32% vs 36% is only a 5 minute difference at 30 m according to the tables).
I dive with a computer but when using nitrox I do not use it to determine what my mod is. I have the nitrox tables on my phoe and tablets and prior to getting my mix I use the tables to determine my mod along with my planned depth. I do like your comment.

I personally would have used air for just the two dives, however doing all four I probably would have opted for nitrox if the funds were available. For the 0.5% difference, I would usually round up as a matter of safe practice (as I deem it), not that 0.5% is going to make much difference: using the ppO2 of 1.4/1.6 BAR as taught already has a safety margin built into that.
As a related point to this, you are a new nitrox diver. In BSAC, the use of Nitrox is taught from initial diver training (Ocean Diver (20m/65ft limit)), however until they complete the next level (Sports Diver (may progress depth to 35m/115ft under instruction), while they may use 28,32 or 36% EANx, they must still plan their dive as though they are diving on 21%. This is built in safety as dictated by BSAC itself to ensure new divers who may still be a bit 'over-excited' don't cause themselves any additional problems. All organised diving will receive a dive brief including the limitations, but each buddy pair is responsible for planning their own dive within training and the limitations and then briefing the manager. What they do outside of club diving is upto them to stay within training limits.

after x-thousand dives, I almost always dive nitrox deeper than 30 feet. I do feel less tired, no headache and less cranky. At almost 59, i'm still cranky...just less so.

@tbone1004 is absolutely correct. You always calculate/plan towards safety. There is little difference on a 70 foot dive between 33 and 34%. But complacency in planning will eventually get you killed. Heck, I plan every dive like its a 200' technical wreck penetration. Good habits are always good.

There are many reasons why I teach SDI and TDI instead of PADI. I feel like PADI has really dumbed down the physics and physiology of their curriculums. Even new PADI instructors are not getting the depth of knowledge (good pun, eh?) related to physics and physiology that was once part of basic OW training.

I feel that my OW class was no where near thorough enough. I felt very unprepared for my first dive after my check out dives and I'm glad I did a refresher with an instructor. I have learned way more from reading online and from DMs.

So when the DM told me to just consider the 33.5 tank as 32, I thought this was negligence, but now looking back on it, it is possible she wanted me to consider it as 32 for safer NDLs since we would not be near our MOD.

Back
Top Bottom