Superior Producer Shipwreck - Curacao - Closed to the Public!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Unfortunately... I have some bad news. As of February 6th, 2017, this dive site has been officially closed by the Curacao Port Authority. Why... well simply they starting the construction of the 2nd Mega Pier - The Tula Pier.

news1-1024x674.jpg Tula Mega Pier.jpg

I have my own opinions & feelings of sadness & disgust for what is being allowed to happen. But I am choosing not to voice them here out of respect for the "board". However, if you have an objection to this outrageous atrocity that is being committed to the environment and to this amazing artificial reef then please voice them... but not here. Ok.

2017 USA Today Top 10 Dive Sites in the Caribbean -http://curacaochronicle.com/tag/superior-producer/

MV Superior Producer – Dive into History on Curaçao

Please... Send an email to the Curacao Port Authority... cause them to take notice of your opinion!!

Curaçao Ports Authority
Werf de Wilde z/n
P.O. Box 689. Curacao
Phone: +599 9 434 5999
Fax: +599 9 461 3907
E-mail: info@curports.com

Remember, this is what it looks like today...
IMG_0173.jpg

Thank you for your attention.. Dive Safe Everyone!

Last edited:
If I understand from a linked page, the area will be closed to diving Feb. 6 - Nov. 7, 2017, and I infer from a graphic that the new pier is to accommodate more cruise ship traffic?

Is the Superior Producer site expected to be compromised beyond that? What environmental damage is expected from the pier project long-term? (IIRC, cruise ship pier-building can be mighty contentious on Grand Cayman, and I'm guessing it's controversial here?).

Richard.

If I understand from a linked page, the area will be closed to diving Feb. 6 - Nov. 7, 2017, and I infer from a graphic that the new pier is to accommodate more cruise ship traffic?

Is the Superior Producer site expected to be compromised beyond that? What environmental damage is expected from the pier project long-term? (IIRC, cruise ship pier-building can be mighty contentious on Grand Cayman, and I'm guessing it's controversial here?).

Richard.

Good afternoon Richard, thanks for the questions and comments. You are correct in your 1st two statements regarding period if it runs on schedule and the purpose of the pier. Built for the 8000 passenger vessels that are over 1000ft in length with a 30ft draught. The top of the Superior is at 71ft.

The Superior Producer & reef may well be comprised beyond that due to the dredging since there are no barriers in place to hold back the loose sediment during construction.
16796945_10154718236477550_6343526880633011492_o.jpg

Honestly, I am not qualified to answer the question on long term effects. However the current infrastructure on Curacao cannot support what is already happening such as waste management both liquid & solids. Another reality is that cruise ship business attributes only $53 million USD/year where Marine Activities such as scuba diving, snorkeling, etc... attribute $353 million USD/year. Another fact is... this new pier is budgeted at $50 million USD with an understanding that it will only increase local revenue by 30%.

The issues are the same everywhere I guess.

The Superior Producer & reef may well be comprised beyond that due to the dredging since there are no barriers in place to hold back the loose sediment during construction.

My Wife and I considering a week (or more) of diving on Curacao in August of 2017. We are looking at staying in the Westpunt area. Does anybody know how the visibility/dive quality at nearby sites will be affected during construction of the pier? What about sites further from the pier?

Last edited:
The nearest accessible dive site down current would be "double reef" near Holiday Beach and the "water factory". The best suggestion would be to contact Goby Divers (Dive Op at Holiday Beach) for a situation report during the time you are on island. If you have additional questions or if I can be of further service, please advise. Always happy to help.

Westpunt is far from the pier construction and I wouldn't expect sites way out there to be affected. I don't think boats from Westpunt even go to the SP or anyplace within 10 miles, and if shore diving there is no need to either - generally speaking the sites are better the further west you get anyway.

Damselfish is right, due to the easterly trade winds and prevailing currents, there should be no ill effects past the dive sites mentioned above.

I'm leaving for curaçao on Friday and I was really looking forward to this dive. Probably my most anticipated dive of the trip. Such a bummer. :(

Back
Top Bottom