Oman? Dubai? Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDHopper

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to apologize in advance because I'm probably repeating a question but...

I have 6 days free in UAE and/or Oman and wonder if it's worth taking a day or two to dive and if so, should I dive out of UAE (Dubai, I assume) or somewhere in Oman.

Long story:
I'm going to Abu Dhabi next week for a wedding next weekend. I've spent some time in UAE before and will be in Abu Dhabi for a few days before the wedding so I thought I'd hop to Oman for a week after. I have done zero planning for this trip and diving never crossed my mind until just now. (I'm also a rock climber and had been trying to find a rock climbing partner for a week in UAE and Oman but giving up on that.) I can either spend the 5/6 days driving around and touring/hiking (I'm big hiker) in Oman or I could delay going to Oman and dive from Dubai or something. Any quick recommendations for places/companies (I'll be travelling w/o any gear so all rentals. I have an AOW and ~40 dives but typical "vacation diver" so I go a long time between dives.)

Again, sorry for the likely repeat!

Thanks!!

SD Hopper
After diving that area a few times I would suggest diving out of Oman I like the Dimmiyat Islands and yes I know that is spelled wrong. I have done business with Stu and Tegan at Lua Lua divers and they were great and very professional. The second location would be in the Fujairah region of the UAE which is about 90 minutes out of Dubai and they have good diving there . Divers Down UAE has always been my dive spot there and good people and well ran by the staff.

Dubai itself is a waste for diving unless your just doing classes as I am not sure there is anything there to see.

If you are in Abu Dhabi, then its a longer trip to the East Coast but much better diving than Dubai. There is diving on Sir Baniyas Island that is amazing out of Abu Dhabi but accommodation is NOT cheap. Captive audience and all that.

Mussandam is convenient for a quick trip, @Diving Dubai does a lot of dhow trips out there. Beautiful wall dives but current etc can be challenging.

My advice would be to go to Al Aqah north of Fujairah on the East Coast (Divers Down, Al Boom are the 2 main operators) or up to Dibba on the Mussandam border, Freestyle Divers are the go to guys there. I use them for all my diving. @Searcaigh knows them as well. Dibba is a bit closer to Abu Dhabi than the others.

I have some rock climbing friends, if you drop me a line I can put you in touch with some of them. Temps are beginning to climb now so they may have packed up for summer...

I can also hook you up with some diving options if you like.

Skip the rock climbing, there are many more places in the world with better rock.

Dive on the East Cost. Contact Divers Down. Simplify; do less.

Enjoy.

GJS
(Abu Dhabi since 2001)

Sir Baniyas seems interesting but yeah, pricey. Sounds like a lot of recommendations for East Coast so I'll researching getting there. (Is it crazy to go for a day or 1.5 days?) Damanayat Island looks so close! I had originally planned to start driving from Dubai or Abu Dhabi but I read that people have been having issues crossing the border in rental cars lately. Now I'm a little tempted to try it. Hmm?

Thanks for the tips.

East Coast is a 3 hour drive from Abu Dhabi. Lots of cheap places to stay overnight and get a full days diving in. I believe that Damaniyat islands are phenomenal but travel time is substantially longer.

Oh - I wasn't clear. The wedding is in Abu Dhabi but I've already spent time in UAE (and will again before the wedding) so I planned to go to Oman after the wedding and already have a flight booked to Muscat. (It didn't add any cost to the ticket from the US so it was basically free if I booked at the same time.) What I'm considering is skipping that flight and spending more time diving in the UAE and then taking alternate transport to Oman. Regardless, I will be in Oman for the end of the trip just before I fly back to the US.

Hi SD Hopper

I work in Oman and have dived the Oman/UAE coast since 2008

You have a couple of options:

From Dubai by car, taxi or the dive centre can arrange transport.(the dive centre will organize the paperwork you will need to cross the boarder from the UEA into Oman at Dibba) Dive the Mussandam out of Dibba Oman staying here and use their day boat.

http://discovernomad.com/

Try these people not sure what their calendar is like but recommend Sheesha beach diving. A traditional Arabic Dhow again out of Dibba Oman

http://www.sheesabeach.com/

Dived with Sheesha last month 2night 3day Dhow up towards the Straits of Hormuz the diving is spectacular I mean spectacular. Accommodation on the boat basic but clean, food excellent, four dives a day.

Or

The Daymaniyats an hour drive north from Muscat or four hour drive from Dubai

http://www.starfish.ch/dive/Oman.html

Stay here

The Millennium hotel Mussanah on the harbour 50m from the dive boat. The Millennium will pick you up at Muscat airport

See what deals the hotel have on

Dive with these guys http://seaoman.com/activities/dive/

Last month dived the Daymaniyats for a week then picked up a 4x4 from Millennium (paid 45 riyals per day) headed north to the Mussandam for a three day Dhow then back the other way calling at the Daymaniyats for a couple more days. Water temp about 23C 5mm wet suit. The compressors are both good at Omansail and Sheesha

All the best buddy hope the wedding goes well

MrP

You can check out Oman Dive a.k.a. Oman Sail. An hour's drive from Muscat located at the Melinneum Hotel in Musanah, had great experience with them, very good diving, as stated above.

My 5 fils worth

Forget Dubai and head to Oman Sail and Dive in Mussanah and dive the Damaniyats.

I have dived with them several times, but as I have my own kit I can't really comment on their rental gear but I don't recall that it was bad. They do have Nitrox on tap from a membrane system, regular 32% which for multiple days diving is worth using IMHO, but then I'm a fan of "geezer gas".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom