Changing my LP regulator hose...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.....Also, when removing and installing the hose on the second stage end, it requires 2 wrenches. One for the hose and another for the second stage nut. ....

Important enough to say twice.

.....Also, when removing and installing the hose on the second stage end, it requires 2 wrenches. One for the hose and another for the second stage nut. ....

Great guy Alec Peirce has a good video on replacing hoses:

We have a poster strongly recommending lube and a video not using lube. Which is correct? I would think you don't want to take a chance of getting lube in your first or second stage when you change a hose.

I would think you don't want to take a chance of getting lube in your first or second stage when you change a hose.

It's already on the dynamic o-rings in your 1st and 2nd stages if they've been serviced correctly. I see no problem using it on the hose rings. Try to apply it sparingly (partly because it's expensive)

We have a poster strongly recommending lube and a video not using lube. Which is correct? I would think you don't want to take a chance of getting lube in your first or second stage when you change a hose.

See my explanation above, orings that move need to be lubed. As for getting lube in the reg, first off, you use a tiny amount, you just get the oring coated with a thin film of grease. And like dlofting pointed, out the internal orings of the regulator are lubed as well...in a piston reg, it will fail almost immediately if they are not lubed.

I belong to the camp that espouses a thin film of lube on EVERY o-ring except the tank to first stage seal......AND a thin film of lube on EVERY set of threads except the yoke screw. Lube on the seals to aid in sealing, act as a preservative, and to prevent abrasion. Lube on threads to help prevent oxidation. Yes, I put lube on a tank neck o-ring and the valve threads. I also put a very liberal amount of grease on an SPG swivel spool; and in the case of a piston first stage a liberal amount on the piston stem and o-ring.

If using low profile open end wrenches, do you normally need standard or metric? As you can tell, I'm a newbie!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom