How to Effectively Deploy Your Surface Marker Buoy - Scuba Center Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valid concern.

One problem with using the octo is now your hand and a regulator are inside the loop that the reel is attached to.
Just as you've have witness entanglement from inflating from the primary, I've witness novices get entangled from using the octo. Common cause is over inflating it.

I give a tiny pop of air first. This is enough to get the dsmb standing upright but with very little pull. Only a small amount of line is out and goes straight up. Maybe 6-8 inches. There is no loop. Have reel in right hand with drag off. Reel stopped with thumb pressure only. Then with octo in the left hand give it shot of air and up it goes. DSMB is 6 ft so you do not actually get lift until the air bubble reaches the top. So time for a good squirt.

Only problems so far was when I was practicing in the quarry once I forgot to undo the drag on the reel and got to watch it take off upward. Learned to go through the steps carefully. Look and check before you act.

BSAC teach Sports Divers to deploy from the bottom at 10m. Dive Leaders then get taught to deploy mid-water, again at 10m with no reference points. Its not unusual for UK divers to launch their DSMBs from 30m.

I dive with a great bunch of BSAC divers and that is indeed what we do.
GJS

I give a tiny pop of air first. This is enough to get the dsmb standing upright but with very little pull. Only a small amount of line is out and goes straight up. Maybe 6-8 inches. There is no loop. Have reel in right hand with drag off. Reel stopped with thumb pressure only. Then with octo in the left hand give it shot of air and up it goes.

That is what I do. Pop of air to give the DSMB some structure, check that the line and/or DSMB loop is not entangled.

When I was learning how to deploy a DSMB, I bought the AP Training SMB to practice in the pool. It has low volume, so you can pull it down after deployment, and then send it up again to develop competency.

I must have deployed the Training SMB 40-50 times with my Kent Ratchet Reel before I deployed my regular sized Hollis DSMB in the sea. I have also practiced deploying the Training SMB many, many times with both my Light Monkey and Apeks spools. I carry one of these as a spare when I dive.

Here is the Training SMB
AP Training SMB | AP Diving

I am a PADI Divemaster and have not been taught this critical skill in my PADI courses. However, my daughter was taught DSMB deployment when she took her BSAC Sport Diver classes. She also practices with the Training DSMB to maintain this skill .

Best

GJS

I was taught this in a course some where along the way. Might have been in solo (SDI version) or search and recovery (PADI version). Hard to be sure. One of my current frequent dive buddies was my instructor for several SDI and PADI courses. Remember he taught me it at some point and I had to demonstrate. Still practice it from time to time when in a quarry.

You may need to repeat this one or two times until the DSMB gives a strong tug. (You will need to counter the DSMBs positive buoyancy using your breathing. Alternatively, you can let out a little air from the BSC.) Now release the DSMB while holding the spool with your left and right index fingers. Give it room to unreel as needed.

IMHO, if you need to repeat to fill the DSMB, you use a too big of SMB for the depth you plan on using it at. You can NOT counter the DSMB left using breathing more than the very first exhaust into the DSMB. The minutes you take another breath, you are positive. Sure you can let out some air in your BC, but properly weighted diver, how much air do you have in your BC at the end of the dive at safety stop.

I still think the properly way to do it is like this. Buoyancy is maintained the entire process.

IMHO, if you need to repeat to fill the DSMB, you use a too big of SMB for the depth you plan on using it at. You can NOT counter the DSMB left using breathing more than the very first exhaust into the DSMB. The minutes you take another breath, you are positive. Sure you can let out some air in your BC, but properly weighted diver, how much air do you have in your BC at the end of the dive at safety stop.

I still think the properly way to do it is like this. Buoyancy is maintained the entire process.
I've yet to see this captured on film as a mid water deployment without any reference points. The diver in the clip had the seabed as a reference. BSAC Dive Leaders must deploy it without depth reference points and hold station +/- 0.5m, that includes the seabed.

Learned to go through the steps carefully. Look and check before you act.

Amen to that. I made the mistake once of adding air to mine while the double ender was still on the spool, locking the line. Result was an inverted dance at 20 feet until I unclipped it. I won't make that mistake again.

Back
Top Bottom