Dive ops handling wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure to specifically include which dive operators rinse your wetsuits but not your wetsuit boots..

Yeah, never mind wetsuits. Tell me your op. can ensure my dive boots don't stink after diving all week. Now that would be a service! Time has taught me pay particular attention to the post-dive boot rinse.

I just throw mine on the floor of my shower. I need to shower after my dives anyways to get all the salt out of my hair and skin and the combination of shampoo and bath gel raining down onto my suit makes it nice and clean.

Ditto. I learned this the hard way in Bonaire, and I don't think urine's the main culprit. Remember those plankton we're always hearing about in the upper levels of ocean water. Ocean water is, in some metaphorical sense, 'alive' with plankton. When we haul out of the water, that sea water soaking our swim trunks & gear has microbes in it that die and dry on our clothes/gear. Every time we haul out and let our stuff die, a thin layer of tiny dead animals gets added to it. Round about the 3rd or 4th cumulative day in the tropical heat, well...

Richard.

Some of the microbes don't dry and die. They burrow into the skin as the surface water evaporates. This is why it is best to pat yourself dry rather than leave the sea/lake water on your skin.

Yeah, never mind wetsuits. Tell me your op. can ensure my dive boots don't stink after diving all week. Now that would be a service! Time has taught me pay particular attention to the post-dive boot rinse.

Richard.
After rinsing I fill each boot with Listerine and let sit, then dump and let dry. If that isn't an option I have eucalyptus essential oil drops. Put a dropperful in each boot. Even makes the closet smell nice when I store them at home.

I wash every thing in the back of the pick-up in bonaire.. Throw the wet suits and skins in a wash tub... hang on the line.. I never had a problem after weeks of diving... Some of you must be really smelly or have very good noses... We remove the wet suits and swim suits right after the dive... Don't want to see me or the wife naked, Turn away.. Want to look, Have at it..

Jim...

Cozumel diving or warm water boat diving ? Full foot fins. Better performance, smaller, lighter, less to carry and no smelly boots !

Don't want to spend a lot ? Mares Superchannel full foots fins, $70.

I just throw mine on the floor of my shower. I need to shower after my dives anyways to get all the salt out of my hair and skin and the combination of shampoo and bath gel raining down onto my suit makes it nice and clean. Easy-peasey for a lazy soul like me.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT WE DO! I generally travel with 2 swimsuits and my wife with 3. When we shower after dives, we plug the tub and throw them in it while we wash. Then I use my feet to squash them about in the soapy water, drain the tub and rinse them under the shower. On the balcony they then go to dry in the sun. So simple, clean and no stinky damp suits.

After rinsing I fill each boot with Listerine and let sit, then dump and let dry. If that isn't an option I have eucalyptus essential oil drops. Put a dropperful in each boot. Even makes the closet smell nice when I store them at home.

Great idea. I soak everything with Listerine added in at home after the trip. Can't believe I haven't thought of this. Trial size listerine (or 2) being added to my dive kit.

I would love minty fresh suits, but I thought mouthwash had alcohol, which might dry out and damage neoprene?

I would love minty fresh suits, but I thought mouthwash had alcohol, which might dry out and damage neoprene?
I have never seen any warning regarding dilute alcohol and neoprene and it's listed as good resistance on the chemical charts. I can't imagine that the small amount exposed to the neoprene is an issue but if concerned just wash, rinse and use a few drops of the eucalyptus oil to freshen. For what its worth my booties have over 400 dives on them and still going strong

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom