Are airline bag fee's changing gear ownership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giffenk, I usually fly once yearly to Winnipeg and use Visa points. Have found some of the same issues as you at the gate. I don't know if I agree that ticket prices (at least in Canada--maybe U.S.too) have actually gone down because of baggage charges. Can you cite examples? I do know that all the airport fees and taxes (above my "free flight") probably come close to what the actual ticket price was maybe 10 years ago.

I'm about to find this out next month, as it's my first time flying w/ my own gear (checked in)
Last time I rented gear in Cancun- the gear was like scuba fins for kidso_O, and worn (but decently working enough) BCD. Reg. Non fitting wetsuit that was more like a wetgown, Yadda yadda. Took my own mask at least.
Figure if I can do alright with 6" cheapy plastic kids pool fins in Cozumel currents , I'll be ok with my Turtlefins next dives.

Taking my own gear this time. :monkeydance:

American and United have me considering storing a set in Cozumel. We have a airline compliant suitcase that we can get 2 full sets in and it weigh 46#. Regs and computers go in carryon.

Our gear adds $50 a trip. That $50 let's me dive a rig that I set up exactly how I wanted and I have more faith in than rental equipment. I doubt I can rent a bcd, reg, computer, and fins for $50 a week, but I've never checked. While I haven't been on a ski slope in 20 years, No matter what happens to me on a ski slope...I can still breathe. 120 feet deep and I can't say the same.

The hassle of an extra bag and the chance of a lost bag adding stress to a dive trip is more of a reason to store gear or rent it. The bag cost is minimal considering a week long dive trip in Cozumel is going to cost me $2000. $50 I'd about 15 less Bohemia Obscura's (THE best beer in the world) so I'm probably better off...and skinnier...dragging the extra bag.

I would love to have a bcd and fins stored in Cozumel so I could throw everything else in a carryon and go when airfares were cheap. Lately we have been catching great deals on Southwest to Cancun so Gear has been included in the fare. If Southwest changes their policy, I may change my mind.

Safe travels,
Jay
We (Southwest) have no plans to charge for bags. Investors keep hounding our CEO to charge for bags, but we've proven that NOT charging for the first 2 bags has increased our traffic!

Safe diving!

I suggest that the crowd needs to wake up and finally realize that the airlines have reduced their ticket prices by charging for luggage. Your base ticket price is not sky rocketing, but you now have to pay for any (some, all, most) luggage.

This new (well 5 years ago at least) airline trend has led to the "gate check" phenomenon. The game is to not check your bag at checkin time (since it costs money) but to allow it to get checked in at the gate. It is then free. On our recent trip to Bonaire the gate people spent a whole hour trying to convince people to turn in

I travel quite a bit for work and I see the gate check issue quite often. It's worse for the folks that board after all the overhead space is gone. There is a different dynamic traveling with vacationers than business. Most business folks tend to bring a carry on. I can easily fit a week of cloths in a carry on for a business trip. For vacation I'm more likely to check bags. Besides, with the wife and kiddo in tow I have other stuff to contend with fitting into the overhead.

@drrich2 - There is a subcurrent on the board that seems to eschew rental gear for the reasons you noted on fit and availability, plus reasons mentioned in other posts (lower "performance", dubious maintenance, etc). I was trying to relate my mental model of the ski rental industry who will gladly rent you a pair of worn out skis, or for a modest amount more $$, some much better gear. I have friends that always rent and others that own. Personally, I like my gear as I know how it performs.

I have a somewhat unique situation. I retired a few years ago from the RCAF. Both Air Canada and WestJet offer up to 3 free checked bags for serving and retired military. (BTW, the Air Canada policy also includes active and retired members of the US Armed Services so if you live near a major Canadian Airport, it may be worth it to fly one of those airlines even if you live on the US side of the border.)

Having said that, I have tailored my gear with travel in mind and with the goal of being able to fit as much as possible into my carry on especially for the trip to the destination. My thought process being if I am carrying it, it is less likely to get lost enroute. (This is not as critical on the way home.)

Our gear adds $50 a trip. That $50 let's me dive a rig that I set up exactly how I wanted and I have more faith in than rental equipment. I doubt I can rent a bcd, reg, computer, and fins for $50 a week, but I've never checked.

Safe travels,
Jay

Sums up my perspective perfectly. I checked rental price though - At Buddy Dive in Bonaire, it would cost me $225.00 to rent a full gear set for a week (just for me). Obviously my wife adds another $225. $50 to use our dive gear vs $450 to use someone else's is a no-brainer. Even if we managed to carry-on everything but BCs, that would be $130 for 2 for the week.

FWIW, All my (tropical), dive gear goes in one carry on backpack:
3mil steamer, reg set, BCD, 2 masks, 2 smallish lights, 2 computers, and DSMB/spool. If I take my F2's and booties they do just fit, but I like my full foot Superchannels, and they go in the checked bag,( too long for the backpack). And yes, this passes the carry on size check.
Coming home, I do my best to dry out the wetsuit really well, and/or put it in a plastic bag.
I would think a plate/wing would do even better, but I like my Cressi AirTravel BCD, so no point changing it out....yet.

Sod that. I love my gear. The airlines' price gouging has affected the way we travel, though - my husband and I are more inclined to drive to cave country these days than fly, which means fewer weekend trips and longer, less-frequent cave trips. It sucks, but whatever. If and when we do have to fly, we'll use credit card airline miles to upgrade where possible and get a bigger baggage allowance, or bring the bare minimum of non-dive gear with us, but renting - forget it. Rebreathers fit in carry-on, and we'll check a medium-sized bag between us that contains fins, harnesses, exposure protection, and other non-delicate dive gear. We'll stuff a couple of pairs of shorts into the corner and a toiletries case, and call it done.

I am a large guy. My 7mm wetsuit was custom altered when the LDS ordered it and my 3mm is a pinnacle "king" sizing which is the only XXL suit that isnt designed for someone who is 6'6" or taller. For this reason I back a bag with my gear. I use the Litehawk BC which makes packing a bit easier as its designed as a travel BC (and I rather like it as well, dont feel like i am giving anything up with the smaller form factor) but I can get everything into a full size suitcase that comes in right around 48lbs. This includes wetsuits, BC, FFM, hood, gloves, fins and gear bags. Whenever possible I fly Southwest. I know they are a love hate airline, but they have always treated me right and I get my second bag free. So I can pack normally and then toss everything I need in my second checked bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom