Cozumel for junior open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am likely the only nay sayer you will get but I don't recommend Coz for new divers.

I would suggest Key Largo as a better option. The shallow reef dives in the 25-40 range are a staple and all are moored sites

You are not the only nay sayer, I wouldn't recommend it for new divers either, especially for younger ones. Personally I think a place where the dives are on a mooring, or from shore are better suited for new divers. If you don't want to do the Keys then I would look at Roatan, or Bonaire.

My wife, my daughter (12 at the time), and I all dove Cozumel as our first post certification dives. We all did fine. More than fine, actually. 22 years later we (my wife and I, anyway; my daughter grew up and got her own life) are still going there at least once a year and I can't wait to go back (come on, May!). Sure, there are dives there that newbies of any age should avoid, but there is plenty there for new divers.

Last edited:
I agree, great place for new divers due to the usually gentle currents, amazing vis and ease of diving. Great place to intro a new diver.

I also second all the suggestions of a private DM! Def a must!

As others have said, there are locations/levels that are good for new divers. But here is the big HOWEVER...the rest of the divers on your boat may not wish to dive them for being too shallow. This may necessitate either hiring your very own boat (expensive) or your own DM (less expensive).

The issue I have with Coz is stated in a lot of the pro comments, you need to hire a DM and hopefully find a dive op to take you to site suitable for new divers. Do you want the extra expense and what are you going to do if the dive op does not go to a suitable site? Why not avoid the problem all together, go somewhere you are assured of the conditions you need/want and go to Coz at a later date. I don't dislike Coz, been there every year for the last 5 or 6 years and going again this year, it's just not my idea of an ideal place for a new diver.

My son got certified in Cozumel at 12 Years old in 1990. This year we were on the boat with a husband and wife and 3 children 13 ,15 17. They had a great time. They hired their own dive master and did their thing. It was neat to watch.

With the right dive op I think you will have no issues.

As others have said, there are locations/levels that are good for new divers. But here is the big HOWEVER...the rest of the divers on your boat may not wish to dive them for being too shallow. This may necessitate either hiring your very own boat (expensive) or your own DM (less expensive).
We didn't encounter any of those problems when we brought our daughter diving for the first time. We just told our op (Blue Angel) that we had her with us and they made it happen. Of course, you don't want to spring it on the op at the last minute, but there are many ways to accommodate your kid. Maybe she won't go on every dive (good for you and her mom so that you can go on more advanced dives), or hiring an extra DM might be the ticket... whatever. It won't be a big deal, and I can't imagine you'd have to go so far as to hire a separate boat. No one, including the op, wants this to be a problem.

I do not have dive site data memorized but many of the Palancar sites can be dived relatively shallow with a private DM while the rest of the group goes deeper.

I do not have dive site data memorized but many of the Palancar sites can be dived relatively shallow with a private DM while the rest of the group goes deeper.
I think that's true of most of the Cozumel reefs. Not of some, of course; the tops of Maracaibo, Punta Sur, and Colombia Deep are pretty deep, and novice divers should not go to the northern sites, but generally the sites along the center of the island can be dived shallow.

Last edited:
All 3 of my children were certified in Cozumel (ages 15-16) over the last 15 years and have dove only in Cozumel. It a great place to learn and dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom