Modding a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jseyfert3

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This seems like a mix between making and repairing gear so I didn't stick it in a sub-forum. I had a member here who nicely sent me an old custom (to him) 7 mm farmer john wetsuit as my dimensions were similar to his (tall and lanky). Turns out the impossible happened, he was as tall as me but skinnier. So I now have a wetsuit that fits me almost perfectly in height and around my torso, but I can barely squeeze my arms and legs into it and needed my wife to help me get it back off when I unwisely forced myself into it as a test.

So I just need to increase the circumference of the arms and legs a tad. I figured maybe I could just do it myself. How hard is it to cut and sew neoprene? I figured maybe it would be a good time to add arm and leg zippers, and the zipper itself may add just about the right amount of circumference.

Any suggestions?

Suits shrink with age. If you have the skill to alter it then that is an option. However, I'd first try stretching it and/or using lube.

I've personally stuffed large diameter PVC pipe in the sleeves of my suit to regain the ability of fitting into a suit. Let it sit over night. I've also mixed water and hair conditioner and applied it to my limbs to slide into a tight suit.

But even if you do squeeze into the suit, doesn't it "squeeze" you once you are at depth? This could cut off circulation to the arms and legs as described. ( I thought you could just find a skinnier teen to pass it onto. ) If you can add panels to insides of arms and all the way down outside of legs, it might be adding only two strips of neoprene fabric of varying width. This could even be a non-matching color and look cool. Problem is aged neoprene might not hold stitches well.

Try lubing yourself with either the diluted conditioner or diluted baby shampoo in a spray bottle before you alter the suit.

Come on folks, give it to him like you did with me on drysuits... Get a big industrial sized container of KY Jelly and watch the people get out of your way when you are ready to put it on!

Lube is out of the question. It's tight enough it was cutting off circulation, so it needs to be modded or passed to someone of my height who's smaller (I'm 6'05" and 155 lbs naked so that'd be tough).

Back
Top Bottom