Sri Lanka v Indo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markb

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

Can anyone tell me how SL compares to Indonesia/ Philippines for a diving holiday?
I know that there is some good tech wreck in SL but I will be diving single tank 30m max.
I recently went to Bali and Komodo (report on indo forum) and was impressed with both the diving and the land based stuff, food, people, etc Hoping to get back there for the molas in September.

SL a bit nearer to the uk though so tempting.

Thanks
Mark

Indo would be in the top three destinations for reefs and marine life. I would be surprised if SL makes it in the top 100 even. Technical and deep wreck divers would still prefer the latter because SL has HMS Hermes, the worlds first air-craft carrier. If I was in your position, I would not even bother with SL. If you dont want to go to Indo, then there is Maldives and Philippines and both should beat Sri Lanka by a mile.

How can we know that Maldives will beat Sri Lanka by a mile? SL has only recently had a quantifiable number of divers show up and the only lib in the area is not working more than half the time its been in operation. My hope was that SL would be on par or close to par with Maldives (which I wasn't always that impressed with, there's so much damage).

However, having subsequently learned that most sites offered are wreck sites, I'm out.

What makes Indonesia so popular is the fact that is lies within the "Coral Triangle" where the words best reef diving is. Sri Lanka lies outside this underwater paradise. There are always places outside this triangle that can offer decent diving but if i am spending money to go somewhere in that area then I would like to land in the middle of this area.

coral triangle.jpg

Ok thanks. Yes I thought that the diving I did in Bali and Komodo were some of the best I have done. Better than PI because more big fish but v similar.
Main reason I was looking at SL was cheaper shorter flights for a 2 week trip. Maldives a bit quiet out of the water for me I think.

Anyone who want to dive a purposed built aircraft carrier should look no further than HMS Hermes. Unfortunately it is lying around 50m so recreational diving is more or less off limited.

PAL fly direct from London to Manila. But Sept is typhoon season so.......

How can we know that Maldives will beat Sri Lanka by a mile? SL has only recently had a quantifiable number of divers show up and the only lib in the area is not working more than half the time its been in operation. My hope was that SL would be on par or close to par with Maldives (which I wasn't always that impressed with, there's so much damage).

However, having subsequently learned that most sites offered are wreck sites, I'm out.
The main attraction in diving SriLanka apart from the wrecks is whale spotting (Blue whales in southern Mirissa), that should drive some divers to the island, unfortunately it seems that some of the specialized liveaboards have had issues with allowed permits lately. Bureaucracy is a local delight in SL.

I am with Sindbad saying that apart from specific interests SL diving is not close to Maldives EVEN THOUGH I do not put Maldives as high as the Coral triangle area. Personally I find Maldives boring in terms of biodiversity but noone would argue on the fact Maldives is not short of fish. Schools of fish can be impressive, sharks are guaranteed anywhere you go. (Ethically I refuse to give my money to a country where death penalty can be applied to minors, but that's another story.).

That said if you survive the numerous scammers in Colombo and Kandy, SL is a great little country with much to see and travel, also great (hell spicy) food too. I guess you can accept less than perfect diving if you couple it with land sightseeing.

Overall Indo would be #1 as a tropical destination. But you need to pinpoint where you want to go depending on what you like as Indo is vast and very diverse. Agree with everyone that SL does not compare with Indo, Phils or Maldives for reef diving. Last years coral bleaching has not helped either. There are some nice spots, and coupled with a land based holiday is a nice place to visit.

If you like wrecks then SL is a great place. Apart from the HMS Hermes there are heaps of other great wrecks. The west coast off Colombo has lots o wrecks in recreational depths as well as a few deeper than 40m including a WWI wreck. And on the wrecks the marine life is good as well, often much better than the reefs.

But if you want stunning reefs then look at Indo. Then Phils. For big fish action though Maldives is fantastic. The reefs are not in great shape after coral bleaching events in 1998 and 2016. But still lots of fish.

I agree with Nishan, Diving is not SL's strongest attraction however scuba industry is blooming over the past couple of years. apart from the HMS hermes Trincomalee is a place to hold SL's most precious dive sites. did some cave diving in last season ,could provide more info if someone interested in coming to SL this year.

Currently in Sri Lanka at the moment diving HMS Hermes on a daily basis this week, it's deep and it's fun plus slightly challenging given changeable seas and currents (full write up coming soon next week when I return to Dubai).

The dive op we are using (there are 7 of us) is basic, no resort typical of Indonesia or Philippines, but if they work on it then is could be.

At the moment we are waiting for a Helium delivery otherwise no diving tomorrow for me although the rebreather guys will be fine.

One of the boats we are using

SRI_1381Csig_zpswjiafxgs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom