Best dive location in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will also similarly be in Bangkok around 16-23 June and since I now live in Denmark, I can be satisfied with just being in warm water with decent visibility but ofcourse good dives are great.I have around a 100 dives and having done Phuket/Similar/Richeliu diving a number of times and was actually considering Samui - sail rock and chumphon pinnacle. Are these really that bad? The videos look decent on the dive shop websites but ofcourse that is what they have to do.

I will also similarly be in Bangkok around 16-23 June and since I now live in Denmark, I can be satisfied with just being in warm water with decent visibility but ofcourse good dives are great.I have around a 100 dives and having done Phuket/Similar/Richeliu diving a number of times and was actually considering Samui - sail rock and chumphon pinnacle. Are these really that bad? The videos look decent on the dive shop websites but ofcourse that is what they have to do.
Sail Rock and Chumpon Pinnacle are nice on a good day, IMO the only worthwhile divesites there.

Lipe will be virtually closed in June, with nobody on the island.

Really? I was there last October and it was fairly busy, all the dive operators open for business - most of them weren't going to 8 Mile Rock though. October is the change of season period but the weather was fine for the most part.
Is the weather in June wetter / more unstable than October then? I was under the impression Sept/Oct is the wettest period?
Weather Averages for Ko Lipe, Thailand

Sorry wrong thread

Attachments

• rainchart[1].png
    rainchart[1].png
    65.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Really? I was there last October and it was fairly busy, all the dive operators open for business - most of them weren't going to 8 Mile Rock though. October is the change of season period but the weather was fine for the most part.
Is the weather in June wetter / more unstable than October then? I was under the impression Sept/Oct is the wettest period?
Weather Averages for Ko Lipe, Thailand
Yes, really. September is wettest. October is the start of the season, so DCs will be starting up. June is virtually all closed.

Yes, really. September is wettest. October is the start of the season, so DCs will be starting up. June is virtually all closed.
So is that the same for the whole period from May/June to Sept then? Interested to know for future reference. We'll be pretty much restricted to going to Thailand in the uk summer school holidays for a fair few years as our son starts school in Sept. Not an ideal time weather wise but was thinking Lipe may be a good option with decent and convenient diving, many sites being close by.
Mind you, apart from anything else, I guess the ferry ride over would be pretty miserable anyway. The ride there was horrible in Oct although the return journey was fine.
We were in Khao Lak the week before Lipe. The weather wasn't on our side and didn't get any diving in. We knew it was a risk going in Oct but the locals said last year was particularly wet!

Last edited:
So is that the same for the whole period from May/June to Sept then? Interested to know for future reference. We'll be pretty much restricted to going to Thailand in the uk summer school holidays for a fair few years as our son starts school in Sept. Not an ideal time weather wise but was thinking Lipe may be a good option with decent and convenient diving, many sites being close by.
Mind you, apart from anything else, I guess the ferry ride over would be pretty miserable anyway. The ride there was horrible in Oct although the return journey was fine.
We were in Khao Lak the week before Lipe. The weather wasn't on our side and didn't get any diving in. We knew it was a risk going in Oct but the locals said last year was particularly wet!
Decent and convenient diving that time of year: Phi Phi. The island itself may be not to everyone's taste though. From Phuket, Ao Nang and Lanta divesites will be further away.

Decent and convenient diving that time of year: Phi Phi. The island itself may be not to everyone's taste though.

Dived out of Phi Phi in August before last. I know what you mean about not to everyone's taste, but we stayed on the nicer (imo) east side, at Phi Phi relax resort. Was really nice, and good diving nearby - particularly the Bidas. We got very lucky with the weather too, it was calm and sunny :)Could be only option for convenient diving that time of year on Andaman side then. And perhaps east side of Malaysian peninsular? Or have you been to Palau Weh?
my wife's Thai so we generally go out that way for our hols / visit family, so we look for good, family friendly, diving locations within fairly easy reach of Bangkok.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Unless you absolutely have to be in Thailand in June, you'd be better off considering a trip to Indonesia for diving in June. The monsoon seasons are opposite of one another between Thailand and Indonesia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom