Worth using Nitrox for St. Croix diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just returned and my advice would be to definitely rent a car. Trade out a couple boat dives for shore dives and you should be able to pay for the rental. I had about as much fun driving as diving, beautiful winding roads, some through dense forest, some high above the ocean.

Saw sharks on all but one wall dive. The pier is great, especially night dives, but there are too many other spots that you need to check out.

what depths and times do you plan on running for each of those dives? 4 dives per day is a bit ballsy imho but an extra $15/tank is also quite a bit of money so you have to balance. If the pier dives are going to be less than 40ft, I definitely wouldn't use nitrox for the pier dives. If the first boat dives are going to be deeper than about 70ft, then I would consider it for the second boat dive. It's all about tapering your EAD's and making sure you are diving progressively shallower but without having any idea of depth/time profiles, there isn't much we can do to help you out with that.

also important, which computer are you using and on what conservatism setting?
are the deep dives square profile or multilevel? how deep is the top of the reef?

many caribbean vacation dives are multilevel so that "max depth 70 foot" dive is really 65 feet for 20 minutes and then 35 feet for 20 minutes. you typically will never get close to NDL. no NEED for nitrox. even when doing 4 or 5 dives a day.

square profiles are very different as are deeper reef tops where you can not finish your dive in 20 - 30 feet.

Just returned last night from my trip to St. Croix!

I stuck with not renting a car, just hung out in Frederiksted and dove with N2theBlue. My trip basically went like this:

Wednesday
2 morning boat dives
Afternoon pier solo dive
Guided night pier dive

Thursday
Same dive plan as Wednesday

Friday
2 morning boat dives
Afternoon pier solo dive

Saturday
Pier solo dive (2 hours and 20min on one tank... unreal!)

I did not use Nitrox and am glad I chose not to - there was no need at all. Each boat dive would typically be 65minutes, with my pier dives being 90min each or longer. Frankly, that was plenty and I never felt a desire to have Nitrox.

Despite spending a combined 9.5 hours diving the pier, I never got bored - that site is a dream for a photographer like myself.

N2theBlue is a great shop, I would definitely dive with them in the future.

Thanks again for everybody's feedback!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom