Mk10 IP creeps after serviced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys, recently I bought a couple of mk10 from eBay and this was my first time servicing SP regulator. Prior to this I have rebuilt plenty of conshelf.. long story short my questions are does SP regulator tend to lock up IP slower after fresh service? Will they creep lesser over time?

Video below is what I got after fresh service, new seat, new oring.. I tried to feel for any nicks on the knife edge piston but it seems ok for me. I also tried to polish it with chalk but still the same result.

So care to input any opinions diyer and SP expert? Should I get NOS piston? Many thanks!

What was your process for breaking in the seat?

_R

What was your process for breaking in the seat?

_R

i noticed the creeps when i first pressurize it after replacing new seat and o-rings, thinking it might take a few cycle to break in to get less creep since i remembered i read somewhere about people commenting it might creeps less after setting in

however it is still the same after i initiated 20~30 breathing cycle with my 109. Any details i might have missed from this?

awap do you think the trident seat is reliable? i just noticed the defective seat that i got is the same with the a242

I have just a little experience with them and have never had a problem. I have seen one other report of a problem with the Trident seat similar to yours. That is, a failure that occurred immediately on instalation - a defective product that never gets used. Such a failure is not really an operational problem.

I believe Vintage Double Hose uses those seat in his aftermarket kits so I doubt if defective produts are very common. Unless you have a better option, it should be a viable source. Another option is to grab some Mk5 or Mk10 Scubapro kits that have 3 HP seats of slightly different heights. When combined with the use of shims to adjust the IP, most regs will be able to use at least 2 of them if not all three. I also like to look for the older style flat Mk10 seats which can be flipped after one side begins to fail.

I have just a little experience with them and have never had a problem. I have seen one other report of a problem with the Trident seat similar to yours. That is, a failure that occurred immediately on instalation - a defective product that never gets used. Such a failure is not really an operational problem.

I believe Vintage Double Hose uses those seat in his aftermarket kits so I doubt if defective produts are very common. Unless you have a better option, it should be a viable source. Another option is to grab some Mk5 or Mk10 Scubapro kits that have 3 HP seats of slightly different heights. When combined with the use of shims to adjust the IP, most regs will be able to use at least 2 of them if not all three. I also like to look for the older style flat Mk10 seats which can be flipped after one side begins to fail.

thanks for the heads up! i think i will look for scubapro kits for now.. since i think its quite value for money considering there are 3 seats included in each kit :)

my advice is to not use sandpaper on a piston knife edge as it is too coarse. If you are going to polish it to remove a small nick or imperfection, use crocus cloth.

Still have any of those MK10 pistons that you can let go?

I have several NOS MK10 pistons, happy to sell you one.

That's quite a bit of creep, I suspect it's a combination of the piston and seat, and maybe your HP o-ring is a bit soft or not lubed well enough. That could cause some friction on the piston shaft and slow down the lock up. You might want to verify that the o-ring you used is either a 85 or 90 duro, and is well lubed (you can put lube on the piston bullet and shaft before installing the piston)

I inspect the pistons with a jeweler's loupe. Lots of times I have found flaws that I couldn't see without magnification that caused some creep. Nothing like what I'm seeing on your video, though.

Edit: I see that you're in Malaysia. Send me a PM if you'd like and maybe I can send you some other parts as well, that way shipping won't kill you for just the piston. Awap and I bought a large box of assorted NOS scubapro parts, and I have several MK10s.

If Halo is out, I have a couple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom