OWS SlipStream as first Fin Purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gergify

Registered
Reaction score
So after a absence from scuba after acquiring my OW last year, I'm now trying to get much more involved in diving. Because of that, I'm naturally starting to acquire gear and getting more dives under my belt.

Currently on fins. I was not expecting to find the mountains of options I have. After reading countless reviews and posts, I've come to you guys and gals for help.

The majority of my dives are going to be back mounted single tanks with wetsuit. Usually wearing 5-7mm wetsuit. I'm a Midwest diver so that means a majority of cooler water dives with the occasional trip somewhere warm.

I've been very intrigued with the OMS SlipStream fin. But my local dive shop has steered me away from the OMS and Dive Rite fins, suggestions instead fins like the Oceanic Viper. Noting the stiffness of 'tech fins'.

I realize fin choice is really a trial and error situation, and also that conditions may dictate a different type. but I'd like to make an informed decision regardless, on my first fin purchase.

My questions are:

- is the OMS slipstream and good all around fin?
-Is it suitable for beginners and advanced divers?
- Is fatigue and cramping really that common with this fin, or is this because of improper technique and furious kicking?
-considering my dive conditions, Is it a suitable choice when compared to all the 'non tech' fins out there like the Viper. Or should I not consider a 'jet type fin' for my first gear purchase?

Any other fin wisdom also appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
first, OMS not OWS
answers
1. yes-it's only fault is when diving backmount doubles, it's not heavy enough. Good for all other diving though
2. yes
3. yes but only if your legs aren't strong enough to kick it. They are much more efficient at frog kicking if you don't have strong legs. The military rescue swimmers use these types of fins, but you have to have the leg muscles to move them.
4. yes

nothing wrong with the Vipers, but I prefer different fins. The Deep6 Eddy fins are currently what I'm alternating with my Dive Rite XT's. They are a meaningful improvement over my Slipstreams, hence the recommendation
Deep 6 Eddy Fin - Fins

Thanks for the correction.. The product of typing on a phone!

Seems like it really comes down to personal preference. You're not the first to recommend the deep six though, and I'll look into it! Any sizing tips (9-9.5 M, 5-7mm soft boots) for them?

EDIT: After I found Deep Six does their fins also in black now, the tide has turned. I'm really liking the looks of them, thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:
first, OMS not OWS
answers
1. yes-it's only fault is when diving backmount doubles, it's not heavy enough. Good for all other diving though
2. yes
3. yes but only if your legs aren't strong enough to kick it. They are much more efficient at frog kicking if you don't have strong legs. The military rescue swimmers use these types of fins, but you have to have the leg muscles to move them.
4. yes

nothing wrong with the Vipers, but I prefer different fins. The Deep6 Eddy fins are currently what I'm alternating with my Dive Rite XT's. They are a meaningful improvement over my Slipstreams, hence the recommendation
Deep 6 Eddy Fin - Fins

Between the Deep 6 and the XTs, which do you prefer for frog kick diving?

@Gergify you're probably in large, and they have them in black and orange. My XL's are orange, and XXL's are black

@teknitroxdiver it depends on what I'm doing. I only flutter or dolphin kick at the surface or if I have to book it somewhere in an emergency, everything else is frog kicking. If I'm on a scooter, I prefer the Deep6's as I find them more maneuverable and better rudders. Same for wreck diving. If I have a long slog of kicking, I find my XT's to be better

@Gergify you're probably in large, and they have them in black and orange. My XL's are orange, and XXL's are black

@teknitroxdiver it depends on what I'm doing. I only flutter or dolphin kick at the surface or if I have to book it somewhere in an emergency, everything else is frog kicking. If I'm on a scooter, I prefer the Deep6's as I find them more maneuverable and better rudders. Same for wreck diving. If I have a long slog of kicking, I find my XT's to be better
Thanks. Do you wear the same size in the XT or Deep 6 that you did in the Slipstreams? I've got XL Slipstreams.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom