Is Tulum a good area to sleep at to check out the cenotes? Any dive shop recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R C

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to go diving in some cenotes, but I'm not sure where I should stay. I was thinking Tulum sounded pretty nice, and that coming from Cozumel, I'll just skip Akumal and Playa del Carmen.

Is everything accessible from Tulum? Which Dive shops would you recommend? Thanks!

Tulum is a nice area, certainly slower paced than PDC, lots of places to eat and a great place to dive the cenotes and see the ruins. My go to shop there Is Cave Heaven , a smaller operation that gives personalize service and there is also accommodations available.

My recommendation would be to go cenote diving with Natalie Gibb of UNDER THE JUNGLE & stay in Bel Air Collection Beach Resort & Spa in Xpu-Ha about a mile north from her dive shop. I'll be going back there again in July.

Protec or Under the Jungle for sure. Zero Gravity in Puerto Aventuras if you're one of them GUE types.

Tulum is really close to some of the popular cenotes--like a 5-minute drive. Plenty of options for lodging and dining, too, from fancy to basic. It's an easy little town to get around. And then there are the famous ruins, of course. If you're coming from Cozumel, as I did, you may be able to arrange to have the dive shop send someone to pick you up at the ferry. Easy peasy. We did some cenote dives with Eric "Budgie" Burgess, a local guide, but I have heard good things about all the guides and shops mentioned by others so far.

Last edited:
I recommend Nicolas from CenoteXperience I have been diving with Nico and his brother Martin for over 6 years. They have a small shop and you will get great personalized service. Tell Nico that Steve from Canada sent you.

When I dove the cenotes, the group that I was traveling with stayed at an all inclusive (I forget the name) in Akumel. It was between Playa del Carmen & Tulum.

Tulum is really close to some of the popular cenotes--like a 5-minute drive. Plenty of options for lodging and dining, too, from fancy to basic. It's an easy little town to get around. And then there are the famous ruins, of course. If you're coming from Cozumel, as I did, you may be able to arrange to have the dive shop send someone to pick you up at the ferry. Easy peasy. We did some cenote dives with Eric "Budgie" Burgess, a local guide, but I have heard good things about all the guides and shops mentioned by others so far.

Further to this, I just saw that Budgie's Facebook page says he hit his 10,000th dive, of which the earliest were probably during his former career as a Royal Navy diver. But he's a really humble, even somewhat reserved guy and not "military" at all.

Back
Top Bottom