Questions About Truk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have the time, I would suggest doing a longer time in Chuuk at Blue Lagoon rather than on a liveaboard (do not even consider Thorfinn - PM me for reasons). This will cost about the same overall, and you will do a similar number of dives, but you will get a greater range of dives as there are more deeper wrecks than there are shallow ones. On a liveaboard you can (safely) only do six (assuming a six day trip), but on a two week shore based trip you can do 12 or 13 (with a day off in middle). The rest of the dives can be the shallower ones.

I have been there six times, once on a liveaboard. Shore based is by far the best way I believe, so long as you have the time. Last two trips we spent three weeks there.

Here is a great video on Yap from Pete Peterson. Check out his work on Micronesia at Vimeo.

Instead of Yap or Palau, I highly recommend Pohnpei which is in Micronesia.

Pohnpei also has mantas, is cheaper than Yap & is better topside. There are more details & photos in an article for Scuba Diver Life +10% off on hotel, diving and/or tours or anyone who mentions the article.

Micronesian Diving: Chuuk Lagoon and Pohnpei • Scuba Diver Life

Here's a bit of nostalgia for those who flew the "Island Hopper" in the old Continental days. Sigh! The Village Hotel on Pohnpei has been closed since 2013. So thankful we where able to stay there with our family back in 2008...wonderful memories. As mentioned by NYCNaiad...Pohnpei is lovely!
Thanks for posting the article from Scuba Diver Life.

I dived Truk in June of 2016 and am booked again for January 2018. We are flying Delta into ROR from NRT, doing a week there, then over to TKK for a week. I did the Odyssey, and on the last day visited both Truk Stop and Blue Lagoon. In my humble but accurate opinion, the Odyssey is by far and away the best way to dive Truk. First, the thing is in a lagoon, so you end up looking for the monorail the boat must be attached to when you jump in the water. Literally the boat does not feel like it moves.

On Odyssey, you wake up, and while you are eating breakfast the boat positions to a new site. When done with Breakfast, you go down one deck to the dive deck, put on your gear, and jump in. No dingy ride, no spray, no heavy sun. You can literally dive twice as much in one day with Odyssey that you can with another opp.

Blue Lagoon is the nicer of the two shore places, but it has not seen a coat of paint since the mid 80's. Also the food that I ordered (a burger) was inedible. Conversely the food on Odyssey was fantastic without fail.

For me, I am not sure I would go back to Truk if not on Odyssey. Diving was fantastic, but the shorebased lodging and food was so austere, I don't think I could bring myself to fly around the world to stay in such squalor.

I dived Truk in June of 2016 and am booked again for January 2018. We are flying Delta into ROR from NRT, doing a week there, then over to TKK for a week. I did the Odyssey, and on the last day visited both Truk Stop and Blue Lagoon. In my humble but accurate opinion, the Odyssey is by far and away the best way to dive Truk. First, the thing is in a lagoon, so you end up looking for the monorail the boat must be attached to when you jump in the water. Literally the boat does not feel like it moves.

On Odyssey, you wake up, and while you are eating breakfast the boat positions to a new site. When done with Breakfast, you go down one deck to the dive deck, put on your gear, and jump in. No dingy ride, no spray, no heavy sun. You can literally dive twice as much in one day with Odyssey that you can with another opp.

Blue Lagoon is the nicer of the two shore places, but it has not seen a coat of paint since the mid 80's. Also the food that I ordered (a burger) was inedible. Conversely the food on Odyssey was fantastic without fail.

For me, I am not sure I would go back to Truk if not on Odyssey. Diving was fantastic, but the shorebased lodging and food was so austere, I don't think I could bring myself to fly around the world to stay in such squalor.

A beautifully eloquent summary, sir.

You aren't booked on the special trip Mike is running Jan 21-28th by chance are you? If so see you there! I'm going the Hawaii route to meet up with a couple old friends than hitting the Island Hopper and spending six days in Kosrae before Truk.

Nukakola...please post about Kosrae when you get back from your trip. That was the one location in the Federated States of Micronesia that I haven't dived. Enjoy your trip.

Nukakola...please post about Kosrae when you get back from your trip. That was the one location in the Federated States of Micronesia that I haven't dived. Enjoy your trip.

Absolutely. Nine more months....

Went in sept 2015. Odessy was fantastic. I don't think you will get seasick as it stays in the lagoon. i stayed at Blue Lagoon a couple night before/after. Its a dump. Hot water didn't work , a/c sometimes, water sometimes....

Back
Top Bottom