Creating a dive computer with Location and Communications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moreover, voice comms are readily available with FFMs.

Need your thoughts on if the device is better as a forearm or wrist worn device or one which is put away and retrieved when needed. As ppl already have diver computers on the wrist it might be cumbersome to have a dive computer and a comms device together. So we are thinking that it might be better to have the device stowed elsewhere and retrieved when needed. Also the device can then be held in front of the diver like a small swim board when doing nav and comms functions. I appreciate comments on this.

You could do both. Have a detachable wrist mount so people could choose how they prefer to use it. Not everyone wears a computer on their wrists.

I am quite late to this thread, having just found it.

A woman just died a few days ago. We have few details on what happened, but it appears she became separated from her buddy (husband), surfaced, explained what happened, went down again to look for him, and never surfaced again. I can think of a lot of buddy separation deaths, including ScubaBoard's own Lynne Flaherty (TS&M). I think that there are many cases in which divers would like to be able to pair computers and have them at least point at each other. Advanced divers doing explorations that require separation can benefit as well. Think of Rob Stewart--would being able to find him quickly have made a difference?

As for communications, there usually aren't reasons for complex communications, but sometimes there are, and sometimes full face masks are not appropriate. I am thinking of a dive last year in which a lack of communication between two divers in the group I was diving with resulted in the death of one of them. One of them evidently made a bad guess about what the other was doing at the time. Later on, when in a zero visibility situation, the one who got trapped would have liked very much to tell his buddy what was happening to him.

Last edited:
I like the idea. I like it a lot if the technology can be developed to do it all!

There is a large market (large enough to support the mfg of the units) for submersible distress radios. A lost diver scenario is a frequent posting in accidents and incidents. If the device could transmit a SMS (or any other) message with a distress call and gps coordinates to a boat, other divers, emergency responders, or even family, I think I thought would see initial acceptance.

There is already a market for lost diver recovery devices....but wait...there's more.

Now, lost diver capability mixed with a dive computer....that's an added bonus. Not just the cool kids have their dive computers anymore. Mine is air integrated on the hose (Oceanic Pro Plus 2) and has large numbers. It was purchased for those 2 reasons. A bright screen, air integrated, large colored numbers, and several screen functions would make it very competitive

Lost diver ability with added dive computer, you have just expanded your market exponentially. Bluetooth capability to download dive data would be nice.

Now, if you can make it track beacons and communicate with other units while submerged, at a reasonable price point...assuming a quality product hits the market, and you would have a game changer.

If the unit could track other divers location and depth, I think dive ops would be interested. Track my buddies air, that's a plus.

Communication- like others have said, I dive to be away from everything...but... in an emergency situation, it could save lives. Low on air and/or separated? Cave or penetration wreck scenario and silted out or lost the line? Overstayed your bottom time and incurred a deco obligation? Hell, even in a non emergency situation where your buddy is not looking at you, being able to tell my wife that there is a juvenile trigger fish at my spot would gain me several husband points.

I see a need, I see a demand. Sure, good training should prevent many of the issues, but several of the best trained divers have met untimely deaths in the last decade.

Improve the capability of existing dive computers, combine multiple unit capabilities into one unit, and add an extra measure of safety to the dive community and I think you will have a valueable product. Then it's a matter of quality, but that up to you.

Good luck,
Jay

Hi Jse/Jay/John thank you for the valuable input and insights.

Ok the good news is that we will go ahead with development of the product. Already we have done much of the hard bits so what is left is more or less packaging the product in a suitable housing and finishing off the user interfaces etc (lot to do still :)).

What we will be doing is NAV and Comms. The Nav function will be able to give direction and distance to a target up to a mile on demand Rather than a system that is continually updated with position information. The Comms will be pre-set messages and also you could make up messages and transmit (might be used very seldom though but it is there if needed). Other features are wireless charging and wifi to update firmware and down load logs etc. Battery lasts 16+ hours on one charge. We are expecting to release units for testing in six months or sooner (would like SB volunteers to test :))

We are also launching a crowd funding campaign and a website dedicated to this product. I will post links shortly.
Appreciate very much your support and if this product becomes a success SB can be proud of the input and support to develop it.

Hi Jse/Jay/John thank you for the valuable input and insights.

Ok the good news is that we will go ahead with development of the product. Already we have done much of the hard bits so what is left is more or less packaging the product in a suitable housing and finishing off the user interfaces etc (lot to do still :)).

What we will be doing is NAV and Comms. The Nav function will be able to give direction and distance to a target up to a mile on demand Rather than a system that is continually updated with position information. The Comms will be pre-set messages and also you could make up messages and transmit (might be used very seldom though but it is there if needed). Other features are wireless charging and wifi to update firmware and down load logs etc. Battery lasts 16+ hours on one charge. We are expecting to release units for testing in six months or sooner (would like SB volunteers to test :))

We are also launching a crowd funding campaign and a website dedicated to this product. I will post links shortly.
Appreciate very much your support and if this product becomes a success SB can be proud of the input and support to develop it.

navigation will be reasonable on power. the comms will not. it willhave to e very short data streams. also if you have say 10 of these in the water and ony 3 are in your group you need to know who the coms are coming from. I would suggest some function where it xmitts a programmable id code and the receiver will have a programmable filter on what ids it will acept and process . very much like a call tone on a 2 way radio

Last I heard, even the USN and NOAA couldn't figure out how to get a 1km communication range, much less a position fix, underwater. And they'd both gladly pay five grand for piece for wristwatches that could do that job.

It would be nice if the OP could provide a little information as to why this isn't just a blue sky speculation for a device that isn't physically possible.

Well I'd imagine there would be some IP considerations. If they can do it, I wouldn't be giving away any details on a Internet forum. If they can't well that's no skin of our nose.

Nice to see someone at least trying something new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom