Aldora: what I've been missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are not dedicated to Tech diving, however some of our staff are tech divers and with the enough time for planning and getting the equipment needed we may be able to accommodate a small group . Is just a matter of getting the right tanks, hardware and gases, helium is available here on the island we just may have to ask a friend to let us use his booster. Meridiano 87 even rents doubles. it works better when we are not extremely busy and we can dedicate one of our boats exclusively for a tech group, you may be asked to bring some equipment with you, , stage kits, stage regs, and something else that comes up.

Thanks for the information!

We are not dedicated to Tech diving, however some of our staff are tech divers and with the enough time for planning and getting the equipment needed we may be able to accommodate a small group . Is just a matter of getting the right tanks, hardware and gases, helium is available here on the island we just may have to ask a friend to let us use his booster. Meridiano 87 even rents doubles. it works better when we are not extremely busy and we can dedicate one of our boats exclusively for a tech group, you may be asked to bring some equipment with you, , stage kits, stage regs, and something else that comes up.

People do tech and do NOT bring their own gear???
:eek:

This is slightly off topic from original discussion but someone asked about technical diving with Aldora so I wanted to share my experience. For what it's worth I take my rebreather down to Cozumel and dive with Aldora. So far I've had my rebreather on the island 4 times and it will be with me again this August and December. They will be able to get what gas/tanks you need with a little notice.

I will say that while Aldora doesn't do tech diving often (from my own experience), having divers in HP120s/HP100s "can" allow you better profiles than your standard AL80 operator. Obviously the exception here is if someone is running a dedicated tech boat. I'm not trying get into a dive operator war or pissing contest here but I'm just stating the obvious that technical diving is not a huge business in Cozumel. That being said, I'm happy with my "tech lite" profiles.

Unless someone is running a dedicated tech trip/boat, it will be hard to do deeper/longer unless you book the entire boat or go with a trip dedicated for that. If you do that then disregard my previous comments.

I usually bring my own rebreather tanks since I need inline valves but I've always used a pony for bailout from Aldora. Aldora fills my diluent bottle. I either have Aldora use Meridiano for O2 (they don't boost so you're stuck with ~2100psi/144bar) or use Deep Exposure for 200bar/3000psi boosted O2 fills.

Last time I checked Aldora has AL19s you can use for rebreather bottles but they don't have inline valves so if your rebreather requires it bring your own valves or tanks. Deep Exposure rents rebreather cylinders but they make a point in telling you that they are reserved for their customers first.

To my knowledge, Deep Exposure is the only shop that will boost O2. They are well stocked and well equipped for technical divers but they prefer you dive with them. There are also a couple people that I know of on the island that have their own personal mini boosters.

Sofnolime is kind of an issue. Deep Exposure stocks it but it's 280USD keg. He also sells it in 4kg increments if you dont need a full keg. Protec in Playa has kegs for 240USD so if you're going through Cancun you can stop there.

I brought my own Sofnolime to island last time, kind of sucked. I dont think I'll do that again. A lot of weight.

Last edited:
For this trip to Cozumel, I decided to change it up and dive with Aldora. Between their stellar reputation here on SB and their 120cf tanks, it seemed like an obvious choice. After a few days with them, all I can say is: why did I ever dive with anyone else!

Fast boats: I've never dove off a panga in Cozumel. To leave the dock at 7:30 and be home by 1pm was revolutionary. Even having to wait for late divers one day, and for a no-call no-show another day (thanks), it makes for a wonderfully expedient day.

Big tanks: The shortest dive was 75 minutes. I was used to 40 or maybe 50 minutes with the 'other guys'. This was a big deal for me. Aldora costs a tiny bit more, but you're getting 3 dives of bottom time in 2 dives. Fantastic.

Logical planning: I had not requested nitrox, and dove air the first day. Apparently the group I was with for the next two days had requested it, so they gave me nitrox as well. This might tick off some (I was billed for it), but to me, it was good thinking to keep the group on the same page and I was happy to pay for it. Now having a better understanding of the profiles Aldora dives I will likely dive nitrox in the future with them.

Customer service/accommodation: They go way beyond the minimum to satisfy customers. One of the other divers on our boat one day had requested a pony bottle rental, and they forgot to load it on the boat. He was kind of a turd about it, but they radioed back to base and the pony was at Palancar Beach for us to pick up for the second dive,

Grouping by skill: I really appreciated how they try to group divers by experience level. It makes for a good and relaxed day when no one is way ahead or way behind of the average on the boat.

Speaking of Palancar Beach for the surface interval. At first I was not impressed. The food is expensive and very mediocre. However, once I realized you don't actually have to order anything, or just a soda, I was happy with it. Getting off the boat and sitting in the shade was nice. It's also a nice opportunity to get to know your fellow divers. I ended up becoming good friends with my 'insta-buddy' Glynn and had a great time diving with him.

So, who am I diving with next time? Aldora.
I'm thrilled to hear this. I'm going with a group of girls May 13-20!

A note to the side mount divers, I've done a bunch of dives off an Aldora panga, roll off heavy ( no air in BCD), Twist onto my belly while kicking away from the boat. Immediately establish a positive descent, shake everything out to make sure it's still attached and join up with the group. Some days the current requires this kind of entry.
If you're waiting on top to get tank, you might get left behind.
Loads of fun by the way.

For this trip to Cozumel, I decided to change it up and dive with Aldora. Between their stellar reputation here on SB and their 120cf tanks, it seemed like an obvious choice. After a few days with them, all I can say is: why did I ever dive with anyone else!

Fast boats: I've never dove off a panga in Cozumel. To leave the dock at 7:30 and be home by 1pm was revolutionary. Even having to wait for late divers one day, and for a no-call no-show another day (thanks), it makes for a wonderfully expedient day.

Big tanks: The shortest dive was 75 minutes. I was used to 40 or maybe 50 minutes with the 'other guys'. This was a big deal for me. Aldora costs a tiny bit more, but you're getting 3 dives of bottom time in 2 dives. Fantastic.

Logical planning: I had not requested nitrox, and dove air the first day. Apparently the group I was with for the next two days had requested it, so they gave me nitrox as well. This might tick off some (I was billed for it), but to me, it was good thinking to keep the group on the same page and I was happy to pay for it. Now having a better understanding of the profiles Aldora dives I will likely dive nitrox in the future with them.

Customer service/accommodation: They go way beyond the minimum to satisfy customers. One of the other divers on our boat one day had requested a pony bottle rental, and they forgot to load it on the boat. He was kind of a turd about it, but they radioed back to base and the pony was at Palancar Beach for us to pick up for the second dive,

Grouping by skill: I really appreciated how they try to group divers by experience level. It makes for a good and relaxed day when no one is way ahead or way behind of the average on the boat.

Speaking of Palancar Beach for the surface interval. At first I was not impressed. The food is expensive and very mediocre. However, once I realized you don't actually have to order anything, or just a soda, I was happy with it. Getting off the boat and sitting in the shade was nice. It's also a nice opportunity to get to know your fellow divers. I ended up becoming good friends with my 'insta-buddy' Glynn and had a great time diving with him.

So, who am I diving with next time? Aldora.
I'll be diving with Aldora in a couple of weeks. I appreciate your post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom