Grand Cayman: Westin or Marriott

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with staying away from Red Sail there are many other good operators.

I use Ambassador Divers, DNS and Wall to Wall mostly.

There are a lot of fine dive ops on GC, but we have enjoyed diving with Cayman University Divers, they have a small but nice boat and give a personalized professional experience.

Just a comment about hotels, I think that you made a good choice, but have you also considered renting a one-bedroom condo on Seven Mile Beach? I think that many of the prices are comparable to the hotels and you will have more space, and more privacy. Most of the condos on 7MB have daily maid service (except for Sunday) and there are lots of places to eat and drink nearby.

Of course you don't want to spend a lot of time cooking while on vacation but it is easy to prepare simple breakfast and lunch meals and then go out for a lovely gourmet dinner. Eating out 3 times a day is very pricey in the Caymans and it takes up valuable vacation time IMO. You usually also have an ensuite washer and dryer in a condo and that's convenient so you can pack fewer clothes.

Bar drinks are also very pricey and enjoying drinks that you mix yourself on your own condo beach, patio, or balcony is very pleasant.

You didn't say what time of year you are planning to go, but the beach and pool areas of the major hotels can get crowded especially during the high season, but the condos are quieter and the beach areas are more private. The Sunshine Suites is a sister property across the street from the Westin and SS guests also use the Westin's beach, pool, and amenities.

You may prefer the amenities of a hotel and that's fine but when doing comparison shopping keep in mind that most 7MB hotels and condos charge daily resort fees per person and you need to factor that into the price.

Just a suggestion, I don't mean to interfere, have a great trip!

Last edited:
Kathy- Was there a particular website you used to find a condo on 7MB? Thanks

We stay at either Christopher Columbus or Anchorage at the north end of 7MB. They are next door to each other. Reasonable by Cayman standards and on a beautiful quiet stretch of beach. They each have their own website.

I have stayed at the Marriott on SMB. We were very pleased with it. I can see the argument saying it has a narrow beach, and isn't as centrally located as the Westin. That being said, we never had a problem getting plenty of seats on the beach. Plus the water is very calm, and they have lots of floating platforms to relax on too. As for the central location, cabs aren't too cheap (nothing is on that island tho), so it may save you a little in that sense....I thought the options for dining were very good. We typically did breakfast and lunch there, and on some nights, found some great places off of the property for dinner (Calypso Grill, Sunshine Grill, etc)....The property is very beautiful. I think it was renovated to a certain extent in '14 or '15. The pool isn't huge, but the ocean is basically as calm and just a few steps farther....We dove with Don Fosters because we went with a large group. I think their boats hold 16 and 24 people. So if you're looking for something a little more personal, they might not be the ones for you. That being said, they did a great job and the guides were fantastic. We hit several sites that I did while on the Cayman Aggressor Liveaboard (Kittiwake, Trinity caves, Round Rock), so you wont be cheated on the sites....I have not stayed at the Westin, but I hope a personal account of one will help the decision. Good luck.

Gang - Thanks for all the good info...

Kathy: You are not interfering AT ALL!! My wife (non diver) just wants to site on the beach or by the pool, read her books, forget about work and have people bring her umbrella drinks; Hence the hotel amenities are a real advantage. AND I GET TO DIVE! We call that a "Win-Win" in my house!

EastEndDiver, Craig, Haleyah, et al: Thanks for all the tips on dive opps. At this point I have email/phone messages out to DNS and CUDivers. I'll have my "Tune Up" dive done here at my LDS before we leave, but I'll be looking for some easy 30-40' dives at the start of the week to build up my confidence before venturing deeper.

-PH

Shameless plug: We have a condo at the Meridian, and they do daily/weekly rentals. It is on one of the best parts of the beach (4 properties down from the Ritz) and is just across the street from a Fosters supermarket and near many restaurants. Most of the people we have met who rent here are long term repeat customers. One nice thing is that there are only 34 units, so the beach and pool are never crowded. And if you are looking for a shore dive buddy let me know.

Back
Top Bottom