Hows diving and staying at Tenggol Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

going to tenggol again!!! one week after MIDE2017. Hope to test some new gears, if i can afford any this time around. and last dive before Ramadan. Would be my 2nd time there. last time was July 2016 and the diving experience was great. can't wait.
Looking forward to your trip report (hint hint) where are you staying etc?
Thanks Victor

Tenggol 19-21/5

Viz was meh... none of my photos come out great. I use those 4k actioncams. I've got better shots with it.
Went on 5 dives. Tokong Last, Teluk Nakhoda, Gua Rajawali, Tokong Talang & Tokong Timur, experienced thermocline in all dives. My first experience. So that was something. Teluk Nakhoda almost took my SP Jetfins when one of the brackets came off just before diver down. lucky somebody took an extra pair with them on the boat. Went down with a Biofin after that, my first split fin experience. it was nice but i still love stiffs. Mostly choppy surfaces and almost calm underneath. All dives were negative entry and we regroup at the bottom. Current was mild, it was manageable and fun to drift.
FHD0006.JPG FHD0046.JPG FHD0085.JPG

I can't recall the name of the parking place at the jetty. They asked MYR 30 for 2 overnights. This time we stayed at Tenggol Resort (far right on approach) dive centre operated by Discovery (Abang Zol) briefings were clear and informative. I like the prep area. spacious and convenient. We dove from the same boat, so after a dive we just had to carry only the tank back, and bring a full one for the next dive and setup on the boat. Plenty of shower heads, nice pressure. A little brackish thou. They said the well is taking in some sea water somehow.
FHD0001.JPG FHD0034.JPG

Room was not so much. paper thin walls. decent beds. genset only runs 1230-1430 and later 1830 to the next morning. They've got AC in all rooms and supposedly hot water too, but ours wasn't working. We didn't bother complaining. Food was so-so, but edible. they had a pantry for hot drinks 24hrs and iced cordial served for lunch and dinner.

Honestly i don't mind camping, its just that i had my family with me this time. Wifey didn't dive this on this trip and was busy with the kids gone crazy with sand and sea. I love those huge trees with swings and tarzan ropes. Kids can play along the shore shaded throughout the day until after 1600. that was really neat. no sun burn, but plenty of sea flies. got bitten at a few places at around my arms and legs. itchy and its gonna leave marks.

Sea creatures. Nope. Didn't get to see any whale sharks. There was barracuda, but mostly the usual fishes and plenty of nudis. can't remember their names thou. took pictures but with an actioncam without micro or even focus getting a good shot was impossible. During the last dive i was adamant to get at least one good shot, saw a couple of nudis with horns. as i lean close to the seabed for that one prize shot, facing my instructor who was also shooting the same specimen. he saw me and signals, i thought he wants me to get our of frame... but actually there was a COT below... and it got me by my left thigh. It was immediate burning sensation but wasnt very painful. No pees. when we got to shore i washed the bitten area with hot water and vinegar which i asked from the kitchen. The next day, drove 4 hours back home. stopped by the GP just to have him say its "own its nothing" but i should come back if it becomes painful or skin bump becomes severe. Its been a week, there's still a bump, small, red-ish around the wound and its really itchy every now and then. don't know if i should just go get a jab... so that's something to remember tenggol by.
FHD0062.JPG FHD0119.JPG FHD0120.JPG

Its Ramadan now... resting month. i've got Bidong schedule for the 1st week of Eid. Feels wrong. I should be looking forward to Eid, but I'm more looking forward to Bidong. LOL.

i hope you enjoyed reading this :)

Thanks for the report, makes interesting reading.
Looking for a dive break as shortly after Eid, maybe July.
Possibly back to Perhentian or Tenggol would be somewhere new,
Decisions Decisions.

Thanks for the report, makes interesting reading.
Looking for a dive break as shortly after Eid, maybe July.
Possibly back to Perhentian or Tenggol would be somewhere new,
Decisions Decisions.

Where did you stay at tenggol the last time you were there?

I need a little honest review here from you guys...

I've not been to tenggol and my friends are planning to go there some time this year which coral resort is the only one that can accommodate everyone's time.

As I know there are two major resort there, coral and beach. I'm not asking about the dive site or so, I'm more curious of the service for accomodation.
So far these are the review from my friends that visited tenggol- for tenggol beach resort is okay, great, good service, not bad overall etc; the feedback/experience from tenggol coral is terrible service/ rude staff/ not enough food/ Never going back again etc.
I'm not sure why is it such a big difference when they are next to each other only so I decided to listen to other reviews, googled it n realized everything about coral is about the same as the beach resort. "Not bad/ happy/ satisfy "

So I'm really hoping to get some honest reviews/ feedback/ experience for those who stayed with tenggol coral before. It may be just my friends that was bad luck n hence poor service? Maybe the staff was in a bad week... Maybe the chef was having a hard time?

If it's really as what my friends said, I'll probably only join when tenggol beach is available.

Why spent extra for terrible service right?

Well, Never been to Coral. but if there's any consolation, here's my review on the other two.

I've been to the centre one, and the one on the right (as you approach from main land).
i guess thats Tenggol Island beach Resort (TIBR) and Tenggol Resort (TR) respectively.
Tenggol Resort is very raw. basic features, nothing to shout about. All covered in my previous post.

Tenggol Island Beach Resort (TIBR) is just slightly better. the generator if on from 1830 - 0930 the next day. and 1230-1430 in the afternoon. The accommodation is better, they have a desk and chair, so you can actually do some work on your laptop. everything inside the room works - AC, heater, all plug points. the eating area is better. They also have a welcome briefing. so you actually feel welcomed. and you can ask questions.

During my stay there, my group went for night dive, the centre saved up some food, and served them separately after they came back, reheated. That's service, if you ask me. TIBR also seems to be better kept than TR. Its cleaner. no flies. more organised. and its easy to get the staffs if you have questions or need help with anything.

I'm always not so picky when its a diving trip. But between these two, although TR is slightly cheaper, I'd say TIBR gives better value to my money. And if i get to choose (the trip organiser usually decides), i'd choose TIBR. And i hope that's where i'm going for my next trip to tenggol again, planned for 18-20 August.

Well, Never been to Coral. but if there's any consolation, here's my review on the other two.

I've been to the centre one, and the one on the right (as you approach from main land).
i guess thats Tenggol Island beach Resort (TIBR) and Tenggol Resort (TR) respectively.
Tenggol Resort is very raw. basic features, nothing to shout about. All covered in my previous post.

Tenggol Island Beach Resort (TIBR) is just slightly better. the generator if on from 1830 - 0930 the next day. and 1230-1430 in the afternoon. The accommodation is better, they have a desk and chair, so you can actually do some work on your laptop. everything inside the room works - AC, heater, all plug points. the eating area is better. They also have a welcome briefing. so you actually feel welcomed. and you can ask questions.

During my stay there, my group went for night dive, the centre saved up some food, and served them separately after they came back, reheated. That's service, if you ask me. TIBR also seems to be better kept than TR. Its cleaner. no flies. more organised. and its easy to get the staffs if you have questions or need help with anything.

I'm always not so picky when its a diving trip. But between these two, although TR is slightly cheaper, I'd say TIBR gives better value to my money. And if i get to choose (the trip organiser usually decides), i'd choose TIBR. And i hope that's where i'm going for my next trip to tenggol again, planned for 18-20 August.

Hello!
I am looking to go Tenggol for my next dive over the long Haji weekend.
However, I am new to diving and don't have a groupie of 4 to make it happen.

Starting to join forums to hopefully find some audience.
If you know someone with an already planned trip over that long weekend, and need people, I could change my plans.

Thanks for reading :)

Hello!
I am looking to go Tenggol for my next dive over the long Haji weekend.
However, I am new to diving and don't have a groupie of 4 to make it happen.

Starting to join forums to hopefully find some audience.
If you know someone with an already planned trip over that long weekend, and need people, I could change my plans.

Thanks for reading :)

Hi Natarae, are you talking about Scuba 101? My wife and I also want to go there during the last week of August and we're still looking to get 4 people together. I'll send you a pm as well.

Hi Natarae, are you talking about Scuba 101? My wife and I also want to go there during the last week of August and we're still looking to get 4 people together. I'll send you a pm as well.
Where did you stay and who did you dive with. I hear there are only 3 places to stay with? One might be closed? Thank you for any information.

How do the diving and accommodations on Tenggol compare to Tioman and Redang and the Pehrentians?

How do the diving and accommodations on Tenggol compare to Tioman and Redang and the Perhentians?

Tenggol island is probably the smallest of all of these islands. When we arrived at Tenggol and had our lunch on the island we were actually glad we were staying at Scuba 101 on the mainland since we could drive around in the evening and find different restaurants. On Tenggol I think you would have to sign up for full board since there aren't any restaurants.
Scuba 101 is relatively basic accommodation but good enough for sleeping. We spent most of the time on the boat and in the water.
Here's our GoPro vid compiled over 4 days diving around Tenggol:
Considering it's smaller size, Tenggol is a bit more off the beaten track and you'll find more local divers than at the other three islands.
Out of all four islands, Tioman is our favorite, not so crowded, good mixture of local and international divers, decent options of restaurants and pretty cool diving:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom