Planned deco on a recreational dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, Deco needs to be a thing that you understand and can figure out on the fly in your head without a computer... You need to get the tables set in your brain... Dive with in your limits..

Jim...

Not sure I follow. Wouldn't the tables assume bottom time entirely at max depth and possibly give you a significantly greater deco obligation?

I'm looking at Navy air tables. 30 min bottom time @ 150 ft results in 37 min total deco. 25 min bottom time results in 26 min total deco.

Interesting. My
Again, Deco needs to be a thing that you understand and can figure out on the fly in your head without a computer...
Well, guess I'll never be allowed to do deco :(:cry:.
Oh, why "without a computer"? Are tables gonna be any use with no idea of depth and time? :popcorn:

You get that number by leaving 110 feet with 1200 lb and finding yourself back on the boat with 800 after doing your safety stop. I don't want to leave the bottom at 110 high on nitrogen with 700 lb but I have.

Yup. Experience can tell me pretty closely what I will need for an ascent.

I am happy diving with boats going overhead, in spite of the fact that I claim to be a strictly recreational diver. I am not going to put myself into a situation where I will have to do a long swim against current to get free from that boat area where they are not expecting divers. On Coz we shore dive with boats flying overhead but a short swim will put us close enough to shore that they will not be overhead. The backup plan to the plan of heading for shore is of course to shoot a marker. As you know anytime you are diving off a boat in Cozumel you have boats overhead and it makes no difference where you surface unless you can figure out which boat is yours and get close to it.

Of course, in Coz, all the boats are looking for divers, unlike around here where most of them are just tooling around on the water, not watching for anything other than the harbor police.

If you have no idea how much Deco you are roughly getting your self into without a computer telling you... Yes, You should not be doing deep dives... You would never had lived in the early days of diving.. Just pray that your puters don't give you wrong info or just stop working...

Jim...

Is the only failure possible a leak?
I suppose there is some way a first stage could quit giving out air instantly but it is hard for me to see how. They fail open, and leak. Or your gauge could be stuck on 1000# even though the tank was empty. Still pretty stupid to look at your gauges and they hit 1200, then 1000, and stop going down so you assume you still have air. Can you think of another way to have 800# and then have nothing?

Not sure I follow. Wouldn't the tables assume bottom time entirely at max depth and possibly give you a significantly greater deco obligation?

I'm looking at Navy air tables. 30 min bottom time @ 150 ft results in 37 min total deco. 25 min bottom time results in 26 min total deco.

Yes if you are diving a square profile dive.. You learn tables to understand time, depth, and Deco required... From there you can safely dive a multiple depth dive and know what you'll need... You'll know how to dump Deco time on the return leg of a dive... To only ride your computer is not a thing I would ever do... I trust my brain and years of experience..

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom