What hardest thing to overcome as a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What hardest thing to overcome as a new diver?

I would think it's the attitude of experienced divers.

I don't know HOW many times I've been diving in a group that included novice divers and someone apologized to me out of the clear blue for not having enough experience. And that was without me even copping an attitude. Imagine the pressure novice divers must feel when diving around people with an ego.

R..

When I first drop, to stop and get my bearings before taking off. Took me getting lost twice in the quarry, one open water ascent with an SMB, and two hunt for the anchor adventures before I finally remember that consistently.

Being bombarded with gear offers

Buoyancy, buoyancy, buoyancy. And then maybe trim.

I don't think buoyancy and trim are properly covered in OW classes, mostly because it can only be covered in the real world (you can't teach it in the pool, IMO). I had 10 really frustrating and embarassing dives before I bit the bullet and took a personal PPB class in St. Martin (plug for Octopus Diving in Grand Case) and it completely solved the problem, including trim.

I think PPB, or something similar should be part of the OW certification, or a required part of the Advanced Diver cert.

Buoyancy, buoyancy, buoyancy. And then maybe trim.

I don't think buoyancy and trim are properly covered in OW classes, mostly because it can only be covered in the real world (you can't teach it in the pool, IMO). I had 10 really frustrating and embarassing dives before I bit the bullet and took a personal PPB class in St. Martin (plug for Octopus Diving in Grand Case) and it completely solved the problem, including trim.

I think PPB, or something similar should be part of the OW certification, or a required part of the Advanced Diver cert.

I'm doing Advanced Buoyancy (SDI version of PPB) on Saturday. Can't wait.

Getting good with a compass, is probably it, TBH (I still have a ways to go on that). And remembering everything when I'm loading up the car. ;-)

Getting buoyancy (total weight) was a matter of two or three dives with some experimentation. Getting my weight distribution dialed in to get my trim right was a bit more tedious with the amount of experimentation required (and locating 1 lb weights), but was still only a handful of dives and not "difficult" by any means. I have always been comfortable in the water with lifesaving, lifeguarding, etc certifications from multiple agencies over the years, so that was never an issue.

STILL working on buoyancy. I'm way way better but...I WANT TO HANG MOTIONLESS. I'll get it.
One thing for me in that regard was really understanding why I was heavy at depth, and then floaty mid way up. You could tell me over and over about suit compression but I just didn't get it. It was a weird block.

Resist the urge to take your GoPro or other underwater camera with you until you really have your buoyancy and situational awareness under control. I have seen a lot of new divers totally screw up their dive profile and put themselves in dangerous situations while trying to take what will likely be crappy pictures.

I'm going to agree with 'breathing through the mouth'. I swear, my first few dives I had a constant soundtrack in my head of 'You're okay, you're getting enough air, you're okay'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom