Seawing Nova vs Seawing Nova Gorrila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cblauner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Folks;

I'm looking to upgrade my fins and have heard a lot of great stuff about the Seawing design. I see that there is a new "Gorilla" version which is described as stiffer, but how do I decide which of the two is right for me.

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Charles

I have the 'orange' Gorilla fins, to be honest the first few dives I found myself getting some cramp in my calfs I think this was due to the stiffness of the fins, you can certainly notice a difference. But I have used for a while now and quite like them.

Cant compare against the normal seawing's as I moved from split fins to these. But anyway I never have to look far for my fins in the crate on the boat... orange certainly stands out.

Reactions: Jax
Thanks...Do you tend to dive in strong currents? Do you think the stiffer fins help with them if you do?

I found that with the Sea-wing nova's they were nowhere nearly stiff enough when compared to my Hollis F1's. I have not tried the Gorilla fins. They just bent way too much when I applied a lot of force.

Thanks...Do you tend to dive in strong currents? Do you think the stiffer fins help with them if you do?

No not really recent dives have been quite tame. I had a reasonably strong current last time out on the EX-HMAS Adelaide. The fins seemed to perform pretty well.

I have both fins. Closed heel fins are only available as Novas and I have the open heel orange gorilla.

Much prefer the stiffer fins. They do tend to work your calves somewhat but the propulsion is a lot better. I wish I could get them in the closed heel type.

I am an underwater photographer. That means I find a subject, take a few shots and then have to rush to catch up. The sea wings are very nice fins. They give considerable control. I am a strong swimmer with large feet by the way. I destroyed the nova in short order. I dove the gorilla for some time and then there was the dive in Cozumel that had ripping currents and a bit of an emergency so those fins were toast too. I think either fin should do you. The gorillas offer more power. But if you put extra ordinary demands on a fin, they might not hold up.

I have the 'orange' Gorilla fins, to be honest the first few dives I found myself getting some cramp in my calfs I think this was due to the stiffness of the fins, you can certainly notice a difference. But I have used for a while now and quite like them.

Cant compare against the normal seawing's as I moved from split fins to these. But anyway I never have to look far for my fins in the crate on the boat... orange certainly stands out.

Did they get less stiff with time, or did you just get used to them. I just got the Gorillas and they're waay too stiff for me. I'm going to trade them for the regular - although I'd keep them if I thought they'd loosen up at all... but they really shouldn't, right.

Did they get less stiff with time, or did you just get used to them. I just got the Gorillas and they're waay too stiff for me. I'm going to trade them for the regular - although I'd keep them if I thought they'd loosen up at all... but they really shouldn't, right.

I don't beleive they have become less stiff with usage, I think it's a case of the more I used them the more I became used to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom