Destin, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CryHavoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dive buddy and I are planning to visit the Destin area over memorial day weekend. The boy's girlfriend will be doing her checkout dives then a few open water dives. Looking for suggestions on dive ops.

I second scubatech; captain and crew are great, friendly and it's always a good time.

The St Andrew Jetty dive (panama city) is about 1-1.5 hour drive east but it's a great shore dive and there looks to be a nice tide that Sunday if you wanted to give it a shot between boat dives.

• Thanks for the responses. Scuba tech was one the ops I have been looking at. We would like to avoid the deeper dives since neither mu son nor his girlfriend have much experience.

When you call to book, they'll ask your experience levels and then based on that plan the sites.

You can have a DM in the water with you as well for I think $25 which may be useful for newer divers.

There are some more shallow sites, Miss Louise Tug, bridge rubble, barges that are around 60-70 foot depths. Miss Louise is around 55 feet. But looking at my log book, typical profile is an average depth of about 60-65 with a max around 80-85. But, on the wreck sites you can vary your depth due to the structure and don't need to go all the way to the floor and still have a good dive.

I should have my DM completed by the time we get there. My wife and I have both dove the gulf Coast and have deep experience. Don't want to push it for my son and his girlfriend. And I am quite happy to dive around 50 feet.

Because inquiring minds could care less, wife buddy and I went with Scuba Tech for 4 days of diving. The son and his girlfriend did OW check out dives/refresher with Emerald Coast because Scuba Tech did not have an instructor the first 2 days of our trip rhe joined us with Scuba Tech.
Despite less than optimal conditions and some sporty exits due to waves the diving was very good, not Bloody Bay Wall good, but then what is.
Scuba Tech's shop staff and crew were some of the best I have dove with. Very friendly, cheerful and helpful. They helped make the rough traveling and SI more enjoyable and demonstrated genuine concern for their customers.
I greatly appreciated their emphasis on safety.
And I was able to learn a few new things.
If I go back to Destin, I will dive with them again (if they let me).

Back
Top Bottom