Charging extra for VIP??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a problem with the link I posted earlier. Check out this video.

It looks like they are doing DOT requals for cylinders that are exempt from pressure testing. I believe those blue tops indicate nitrous oxide cylinders.

(g)Visual inspections. A cylinder conforming to a specification listed in the table in this paragraph and used exclusively in the service indicated may, instead of a periodic hydrostatic test, be given a complete external visual inspection at the time periodic requalification becomes due. External visual inspection must be in accordance with CGA Pamphlet C-6 or C-6.3, as applicable (IBR, see § 171.7 of this subchapter). When this inspection is used instead of hydrostatic pressure testing, subsequent inspections are required at five-year intervals after the first inspection. After May 31, 2004, inspections must be made only by persons holding a current RIN and the results recorded and maintained in accordance with § 180.215. Records must include: date of inspection (month and year); DOT specification number; cylinder identification (registered symbol and serial number, date of manufacture, and owner); type of cylinder protective coating (including statement as to need of refinishing or recoating); conditions checked (e.g., leakage, corrosion, gouges, dents or digs in shell or heads, broken or damaged footring or protective ring or fire damage); disposition of cylinder (returned to service, returned to cylinder manufacturer for repairs or condemned). A cylinder passing requalification by the external visual inspection must be marked in accordance with § 180.213. Specification cylinders must be in exclusive service as shown in the following table:

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like they are doing DOT requals for cylinders that are exempt from pressure testing.

I thought that any gas cylinder over 2" diameter had to be pressure tested. They go on to talk about using the machine for other types of cylinders including medical oxygen tanks. I have a AL 19 and a 125 O2 tank with the UE stamp on its last hydro so it is a test on more than just exempt tanks.

To me it's pretty simple. I'd like to know the hydro didn't cause any cracks to start forming in the neck...
An answer that will be given by the hydro! In fact, the hydro will detect the crack before it becomes a crack.
So you're telling me it's impossible for any type of crack to develop or begin to form in in the threads of a tank that has gone to hydro
Not and pass the hydro. That's the whole point of a hydro. The cracking under the 5/3's pressure would be seen as being "non-elastic".

I thought that any gas cylinder over 2" diameter had to be pressure tested. They go on to talk about using the machine for other types of cylinders including medical oxygen tanks. I have a AL 19 and a 125 O2 tank with the UE stamp on its last hydro so it is a test on more than just exempt tanks.

§ 180.209 Requirements for requalification of specification cylinders.
(a)Periodic qualification of cylinders. Each specification cylinder that becomes due for periodic requalification, as specified in the following table, must be requalified and marked in conformance with the requirements of this subpart. Requalification records must be maintained in accordance with§ 180.215. Table 1 follows:

Table 1 - Requalification of Cylinders 1

Specification under which
cylinder was made
Minimum test pressure
(psig) 2
Requalification period
(years)

DOT 3 3000 psig 5.
DOT 3A, 3AA 5/3 times service pressure, except noncorrosive service (see § 180.209(g) ) 5, 10, or 12 (see § 180.209(b) , (e), (f), (h), and (j).

There are exceptions to pressure testing for some tanks used in non-corrosive service. While the machine may be useful to satisfy the required visual inspection, scuba tank do require pressure testing during requalification.

Well, as the OP I think I should mention some things.

49 CFR 173.34

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2000-title49-vol2/pdf/CFR-2000-title49-vol2-sec173-34.pdf

3)
Visual inspection.
Except as other-wise provided in this section, each time a cylinder is retested, it must be visually inspected, internally and externally, in accordance with CGA Pamphlets C–6, C–6.1, C–6.2, or C–6.3, as applicable. The cylinder must be approved, rejected or condemned according to the criteria in the applicable CGA pamphlet. Internal inspection may be omitted for cylinders of the type and in the service described under paragraph (e)(13) of this section. DOT 3BN cylinders must be inspected in accordance with CGA Pamphlet C–6.

Those CGA pamphlets do specifically cite PSI as appropriate visual inspection standards. If your DOT hydro facility is doing their job, the visual inspection is up to PSI standards. Also, since this was posted in the Hawaii section, both of the go to hydro facilities for scuba tanks provide hydros and VIPs by certified technicians. Therefore, on Oahu having a tech not familiar with scuba is not an issue.

Why then do some shops charge extra? I guess it's common practice on the mainland?

One last thing, you guys are arguing about the best way to bring in your tanks. It is often much harder when people try to 'help'. Please call the shop and ask how they'd like the tanks delivered, it will make everyone's experience so much better.

x.png

ERROR 404 - PAGE NOT FOUND

Most of the time when I get a hydro it has included the VIP since I have them done at shops. Only once have I been charged for a VIP separately after a hydro, but that shop did not do their own hydros.

Jsey-
Good point about the burst disks. I had my valve overhauled because once or twice every 20 years seems like a good idea to me. (G) But the damned shop REPLACED my burst disks without being asked, and they installed the "new" integral plugs, tossing out my old plain DISCS.
Why this matters to me? My buddy had a disk burst once due to plain slat corrosion of the copper, and since then I had always taken the extra step to apply a proper grease generously on both sides, so it simply could never corrode that way and cost me a day.
Well, you just can't do that on the new assemblies, so now my valves are permanently screwed. All because some guy couldn't bother making a phone call to ask "Do you want us to..."

An answer that will be given by the hydro! In fact, the hydro will detect the crack before it becomes a crack.

Not and pass the hydro. That's the whole point of a hydro. The cracking under the 5/3's pressure would be seen as being "non-elastic".

The last tank I condemned (mine fortunately) was for a crack in the threads. When did I find it you ask? During my post hydro VIP. I had three other trained people look at it because I thought the purpose of a hydro was to catch these things.

My post-hydro VIPs have become much more thorough since then.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom