Best first regulator, DIY service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Polomelo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a fairly new diver (21 years old, 15 logged dives) and I am thinking about getting my own gear soon. I'd like to get a regulator that is not too expensive and that I could learn to service myself. I will only do rec diving in the near future but I intend to get more technical training when I'm ready. In a nutshell, I think I will be diving for the next 40 years and I'd like to get the most reliable AND durable gear.

Do you believe that the DS4/XTX50 is a good choice for that purpose ? I could get one for 360€ (390$).

Thank you all !

where are you located?

Apeks is historically difficult/impossible to get parts for offically and unless you work for an authorized dealer, you are unable to purchase parts from them. Certain countries, particularly Germany, Austria, etc. have no restrictions, but in America, Apeks and Scubapro are essentially impossible to officially purchase parts.

If you want DIY service and high end gear, Deep 6 is going to be a great place to start looking. They actually come with your first service kits for free at purchase, warranty is not predicated on authorized service, and there will be a manufacturer authorized course coming out. The potential downside now is that depending on your location, you may have difficulty finding someone to service it before you are comfortable, but it has a recommended 2 year service interval, and really should be able to go 4-5 if you take care of it properly.
Deep 6 Aegaeon Double Tank Regulator Package - Regulator Packages - Regulators

I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing a doubles regulator set now vs. later even though you are only planning on recreational diving. If and when you decide to move into things like twinsets, sidemount, or even a pony bottle, you will be spending quite a bit more to get the individual first stage than you do at the get go. The other advantage is that if something goes wrong on your single tank regulator set, you have a spare first stage to swap out. First stages are historically the problem children when it comes to regulators requiring service and it can be sudden when the issue arises. Having the spare first stage means in under 5 minutes you can have your hoses swapped over and not miss the dive.

The other option for you if you want to learn servicing early is to purchase vintage/used equipment. Things like the Scubapro 109/156 paired with a MK10 should be fairly easy to find for not a lot of money on ebay or even in the back bins of dive shops. You can DIY service those very easily and get a very cheap regulator out of it.

Yes. For backmount it is.

If you are wanting to self service and being new to diving, I would suggest a different route than tbone. It's going (or at least should ) be a few years before you start any serious technical training so looking for technical gear at this point is a little premature IMO. I would suggest you look for a used unbalanced piston reg as your first reg, a Scubapro MK-2 would be a perfect choice. They are inexpensive, reliable ,service kits readily available and easy to service with no special tools. Not the best performers but rock solid regs that have been used world wide for many years. After you get some experience you can move on to other regs more suitable for tech diving but odds are you will still be using the unbalanced piston reg for your pony or stage bottle well into your tec diving future.

Thank you for your answers.

I am French so I think I should try to focus on manufacturers that are easily available in Europe. Therefore, Deep6 may not be the very best choice for me as I'll have to pay a lot for delivery and import duties.

I have been diving with an MK2 and entry-level SP second stage since I started diving with my local club. I can't really compare it to any other reg but my instructor's Aqualung Legend octopus seems to be a better breather (I've always dived within 60ft of the surface). However I don't find the MK2 to be unpleasant to use, I like its simplicity but I assumed that a more sophisticated regulator wouldn't be bad to start with. Do you think the R195 is a good choice to pair an MK2 with? It is easily available for 230$ around here.

How can one learn to service a MK2/R195?

Another question as I see that tbone1004 is a technical diver: do you think that I could start with a BP/W setup? Few people seem to use them in France's rec diving community but I hate jacket BCDs and an horizontal trim seems to be easier to achieve. Most of my instructors use jacket BCDs: I would'n want to have gear they are not comfortable with. I am 6'2", 175lb and I dive with a 7mm wetsuit in saltwater between 50F and 80F, usually with a 15L steel tank. Do you think a 30lbs wing (such as the Dive Rite Voyager) could do the job?

From a US based standpoint the easiest regulator to self service from a basis of parts availability, special tools needed and ease of actual servicing is the US Divers SEA / Aqualung Cousteau.
The only special tool needed is an IP gauge.
Can be serviced with a large adjustable spanner, large flat head screwdriver and a bent pin.
(later models add an allen/hex key to service)
It's also a good reliable regulator.

......Mares MR16 and 22 come close, as the 1st stages are so similar to the AquaLung and can use the same parts kit but the 2nd stages are slightly more difficult to tune and adjust.

Last edited:
@Polomelo I started with a bp/w and it was actually about 2 years before I ever wore a jacket bcd when I was required to wear one for some training. All of my students start in bp/w's and I recommend them to everyone.
I would contact Deep Sea Supply as their large backplate will be better for your height and is a bit longer than standard backplates. You still need to get it over to France, but the pricing is good enough that it may not be an issue.

If it is, then I would still go with a roughly 30lb wing on a SS backplate and you'll be far better off.

Regarding the regulators, the shipping and import duties are a bit annoying to deal with.

Scuba Pro Regulator set Scuba Diving Set | eBay
something like that will kick you off to a great start and you can learn to service them fairly easily.

I offer many service kits for Scubapro, US Divers and Aqua Lung regulators. You can also download service manuals and schematics from my extensive on line library free of charge.

I currently carry the Apeks 2nd stage kit and should have 1st stage kits soon.

Last edited:
Apeks DS4 and XTX50 are an excellent choice. Easy to service. Service manuals are also readily available (www.frogkick.dk). Rock solid and deserved reputation in the tech community. You can buy the service kits in Europe without any difficulty. By the way, this also works without any problems in the US. Northeast Scuba sell Apeks service kits, there are almost always some on ebay or you get them from one of the numerous European online shops who will ship them to the US.

Apeks DS4 and XTX50 are an excellent choice. Easy to service. Service manuals are also readily available (www.frogkick.dk). Rock solid and deserved reputation in the tech community. You can buy the service kits in Europe without any difficulty. By the way, this also works without any problems in the US. Northeast Scuba sell Apeks service kits, there are almost always some on ebay or you get them from one of the numerous European online shops who will ship them to the US.

NESS kits are third party service kits, not OEM. They work just fine, as do the HOG D1 kits

Back
Top Bottom