What is the best and lightest BC for traveling? Cressi Travelite??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! That is now on my bucket list :scubadiver:

So, by Grand Cayman you mean the big island?

Yes, Grand Cayman is the main and biggest island, followed in size by Cayman Brac and Little Cayman.

Many tourists do the Stingray City snorkel. I enjoyed the scuba dive version more.

If you want to see some video footage of the snorkel version, click the link in my signature and watch the video titled 3 Days in Grand Cayman.

Message me if you want more details so we don't take the thread off topic.

Last edited:
I believe someone recommended going sidemount. At least they were polite about it, but is a sidemount BCD really a good recommendation for the ops question ? Is the Cressi Travelite BCD dangerous or a bad choice ?

Just to be clear, I didn't recommend anything. I just answered the OP question, and gave 3 different options. The question was:

Please give me your opinions about the best ultra light travel BCs

At 50 dives + specific sidemount training, single tank sidemount is a perfectly fine option for a travel diver.

At less than 3 pounds (no kg, #s!) complete, cheaper than a jacket bcd, ultra compact, and extremely flexible (from single tank to double+stage with the same BCD, for someone that has the interest in educating himself and wants to do the effort to do a few test dives+a few hours of setting up the harness, it's hard to beat.

It's really not for everyone, no doubt about it, but it is the lightest for travel.

Apologies if you felt I was targeting you. I just never heard of side mount single tank for recreational use and thought it was an odd suggestion. I always thought it was intended for double tanks but will admit to being ignorant about it.

Apologies if you felt I was targeting you. I just never heard of side mount single tank for recreational use and thought it was an odd suggestion. I always thought it was intended for double tanks but will admit to being ignorant about it.

No worries Ron, just wanted to be clear that I'm not recommending anything. :):cheers:

I'm also adding a picture I've already shared somewhere else here, to show how simple/streamlined it can be.
11249319_10152894335666795_7336656671904412969_o.jpg

With all due respect to Bison Ravi, I think sidemount, even single-tank sidemount, IS an odd suggestion. Perhaps a wonderfully odd suggestion. :) As I said (see below), I think it should be expected (and welcomed) on a forum like this to see suggestions ranging from things the OP is likely familiar with to things that may be far off the OP's radar, since we don't really know the OP.

Unfortunately, on an Internet forum it's difficult to gain an understanding of what's going on inside an OP's head when they ask for a gear suggestion. Someone asking for a lightweight travel BC may or may not be interested in suggestions that are far different from what they had in mind. In response to a simple question about an item of gear, the options are to say nothing, suggest something along the lines of what you think the person is familiar with, or offer the person something entirely new to them to think about. Without knowing the person asking the question, there's no way to know in advance of offering a suggestion what they're going to make of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom