Fire coral? For over a week???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A week, looks that bad, and you haven't called DAN yet? What's the hold up? Call them every day if you want. See if your doctor will call them for direct suggestions. And file the bills with your dive insurance.

anything exposed to urine (heh. On them, their rashes from about the waist down.) was in far better shape than what wasn't exposed to urine.
Vinegar is usually available and greatly preferred...
Don't pee on it: use copious amounts of vinegar. I would apply it hourly until you kill whatever's still living. Encrusting fire coral does just that and can use the food it gleans from the host. Kill it. Kill it with vinegar.

Looks like hydriod to me after many stings like that.

Mine can last a few weeks and they raise up alot especially a few days later. Usually on my hand. They itch and scratching it provides only momentary relief. I generally stops itching after a week or two but the redness can last longer.

Hot water makes it worse and I never scrub the area hard with soap/wash cloth. Just enough to keep it clean.

I have noticed that the lesser sting sites seem to come later which years ago made me think it was spreading but it was just places on my skin that did not get stung as badly initially.

I think hydroids look like ferns and there are black and green ones. I have also seen bits of broken hydroids floating in the water column on occasion.

For me topical hydrocortisone and topical benadryl works well. If it gets too itchy then oral antihistimine(benadryl) work. This will put me to sleep so I never use it while diving. Overnight when diving works for me.

It's pretty typical of a hydroid sting for recovery to drag on for weeks. Been there.

As I am down and thru the feathered hydroids looking for Pez Leon I exposes as little skin as possible regardless of water temp. My last addition was a lycra hood, no thermal protection but it helps keep that angry rash off my bald head and face.

I can't wait for her to get home....."sorry dear, the Internet said I need to pee on you at least 3 times a day for a week or until the rash goes away." Omg this is going to be the best day in 17 years of marriage!! I hope I can hit her hand while laughing hysterically.....I just hope she does not read this thread about Benadryl, vinegar, and antihistamines. We were taking Allegra while in Coz and it did not flare up. I hope she does not figure that out. This is going to be great!!!

Ok honey, hold your hand in the toilet, just above the water.....ok, now riinse your hand with vinegar and take a Benadryl. See how well the pee works?? Thanks again guys!! Gotta love marriage!!!

Jay

Uh, did you talk to DAN yet, or ask your doctor to consult with them...??
Those are both antihistamines, which can help.

he Internet said I need to pee on you
No. The expert on this thread said vinegar.

I use hydrocortizone cream or ointment on mine until it stops itching, then wait for new skin to grow, but I've never had a case that looks as bad as hers.

Too late DD......gonna pee on her. Can't miss this opportunity. We will follow up with vinegar and antihistamines. I may end up in your Accidents and Incidents forum on our next dive trip....but loading up on water now. Lol........

She just got home!!!

Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom