"My wife won't let me ..."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know the world in which we live now would allow a woman to say she wants to be in an old-fashioned relationship with an old-fashioned kind of guy and that would be just fine. Or, a woman could say she wants to go to West Point, attend Ranger school, fly helos then become a mercenary and just pay for male and female prostitutes when she feels the urge and that would be just fine too. But, if a guy even seems old-fashioned ... that's not really politically correct or okay.

I want the Clarence Thomases of the nation to be in SCOTUS 100% because they deserve to be and 0% because they are black. No affirmative action (Justice Thomas agrees).

I want women free to be whatever they want to be and hold any opinion they want to have and that opinion be open to intellectual debate yet free from serious personal attacks.

I want men to have the same.

I want the country to lighten up and be able to joke around about race, color, creed, gender, religion, philosophy, relationships, etc., without it becoming a federal case that might end up in front of Justice Thomas.

Last edited:
No. But, that decision had nothing to do with race and everything to do with getting the votes that were needed to confirm him. I just used him as an example because he holds the highest judicial office and if anyone gets voted into anything (or not voted) it shouldn't be because of race or gender.

You know, when thread first popped up, it brought flashbacks of my ex-wife who was incredibly abusive and controlling. Like a naïve fool, I put up with it because I was trying to save her and that she'd come around. Obviously that didn't work.

I have seen other unhealthy relationships where partners were controlling over what the other did, taking away something that made their partner happy. That just isn't going to work well, at least that's what my grasp of the obvious tells me.

Now I'm with this absolutely amazing woman that is extremely supportive of whatever I do that makes me happy and I do the same. And a number of people have posted the same here in this thread.

I am not sure what old-fashioned is supposed to mean. To me, relationships whether "modern" or "old-fashioned" (in quotes as I don't know how to define those) are about making things work, both partners committed to the success of each other and the relationship, where there is trust, communication, equality, and a host of other good things.

Trace, you are digging yourself in a hole more and more. Honestly, I don't think it would be a bad idea if the admins just deleted this thread. I think this was a mistake.

No. But, that decision had nothing to do with race and everything to do with getting the votes that were needed to confirm him. I just used him as an example because he holds the highest judicial office and if anyone gets voted into anything (or not voted) it shouldn't be because of race or gender.
How long ago was he confirmed? This is the first time I've heard anyone bring up race with regards to Thomas.

I want to tell the story of a supporting wife. She was a co-worker and friend of my wife for a while. They lost touch for a number of years, and when they got together again, she told this story.

Her husband bought a snake. Where he developed that interest, she didn't know, but he got a snake and put it in a terrarium. Then he got another. And another. As Dave Barry once said, there is a fine line between hobby and insanity, and she could not tell where that line as with him. Before long there were terrariums with snakes all over the house, and the house stunk to high heaven.She did not complain, because it was his hobby, and he was enjoying it. She didn't ask any questions, no matter how much she detested his hobby herself.

Eventually they started to have some financial problems, and the truth came out. Some of those snakes were rare specimens and very, very expensive. Their house had a second mortgage on it she didn't know about. Their life savings was gone. They had huge debts. They divorced, and she was now trying hard to get her life together again. As the spouse, she had shared liability for those debts.

Yes, there is a fine line between hobby and insanity. There is also a fine line between either member of a relationship 1) letting the other go on with their personal interests and 2) taking a personal interest in the value and worthiness of that pursuit and questioning it when appropriate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom