Light/Travel BCD for DMT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mik3ydll

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi, as the thread title says I'm looking for a light "travel" bcd, especially as I'm doing my divemaster this August in Komodo (5 weeks).

I've already done some research and found some interesting ones:
Hollis LTS: pro: durable material, more d-rings and expandable with additional pockets?, con: quite expensive
Aqualung Zuma: pro: better spares availability, more common, con: not very durable material

Alternative: BP/W as it seems quite popular around here, but that's also quite expensive and might be "too complicated" for the dm training, but having that modularity sounds great.

my budget is <400€

Any thoughts on the BCDs or would you suggest sth different?
Thanks.

Scubapro Litehawk. More durable than the Zuma (apparently). Fairly cheap too (at least here in the UK).
Scubapro Litehawk BCD
Shipping Information
£26 delivery to Austria. + 5% discount with "Mike5". I have no affiliation but have bought several items from them, no problems

If no BP/W, I would have a look at the new Aqualung Outlaw.

thanks for the suggestions so far.

the finnsub rig and outlaw both look interesting, but are too expensive.

the litehawk on the other hand, would be a good alternative as it's cheaper than the Hollis, but it also less durable 420D vs. 420D with 1000D outer bladder, while still being a few grams heavier however they achieved that
I'm not sure how important that really is ... as I've never seen anyone having issues with a leaking bladder

I'm not sure how important that really is ... as I've never seen anyone having issues with a leaking bladder
It probably depends on how much & what type of diving you'll be doing. The
Litehawk should be fine for most recreational diving in open water and some wrecks etc, but you may want to think about something more robust if you'll be doing loads of wrecks and/ or cave diving, for example.
Another option is a Zeagle Express Tech, which have a 1000D bladder. They're very popular and a few here on SB rate them highly. Personally I didn't particularly like the deluxe webbing and pads, and thought the 44lb wing was a bit large for my needs, so chose the Litehawk over it. You could always change the webbing on the Zeagle though as it's basically a BP/W.

Last edited:
I think you sold me on the litehawk^^
it seems to provide the best compromise between price, features and weight.

I dove with a Ladyhawk for years. When I needed a new BC I bought a Litehawk and Express Tech and was on the fence. I kept the Express Tech mostly because I was offered a great deal on it, but the Litehawk is nice if shopping for that category of BC. I've since made a lot of little modifications to the ET which probably wouldn't have been possible on the Litehawk (though maybe not needed either.)

I also looked at the Zuma, but there's really no way to adjust the tank height which is unacceptable for me. And for better or worse it is definitely more lightly built than the others.

You need something with deep and durable pockets, you will be carrying spare weights for your group, to many d rings dont help, you need 2 on right side and one on the left if you are diving with a long hose (recommended) or one on each side bp/wings are not for divemasters as most of the people you will be diving with have a bcd and will need help underwater (you need to show how to strap in ... bla bla bla)

Since you plan on using it for your DM you may need to consider the need for pockets. My DM required me to carry a slate, a reel, a dsmb, a reef hook, a knife, and a torch. Its possible you may end up carrying extra weight as well for other divers. Sure, you could clip off some of this stuff but you want to avoid looking like a Christmas tree. I have a bp/wing but purchased a pocket from dive rite which I can place on my waist strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom