Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davy j0nes

Registered
Reaction score
After the success of Aprils' #InstructorDevelopmentCourse ( #IDC ) and the celebrations at our #IEparty we now look forward to the next IDC on May 9th.
Join #CourseDirectors Peter Nieuwhof and Manuel Pelaez at Davy Jones Locker Diving - Koh Tao. Courses are available every month with #Divemaster and #DivingInstructor packages to suit all abilities.
Take the first step on a new career path today! email info@djldiving.com for details and prices.
April IDC 2017 IDC  finshed and IE exams passed well done our new diving instructors - Copy.jpg

Anyone who wants a serious career in diving needs a certification which will be held in high esteem world wide rather than just in KT / Thailand.
My advice would be, even if initial costs are higher, do your IDC, or any other diving certification for that matter, anywhere other than KT.

Anyone who wants a serious career in diving needs a certification which will be held in high esteem world wide rather than just in KT / Thailand.
My advice would be, even if initial costs are higher, do your IDC, or any other diving certification for that matter, anywhere other than KT.

Yes totally agree why would getting certified as an instructor in one of if not the busiest dive locations in the on the planet be held in high esteem. Oh wait the same PADI examiners the moderate the Instructor exams all around Asia Pacific do them in Koh Tao as well, so does that mean you should cross off Australia, Bali and New Zealand off places to take your IDC too then? Yes lots of people take their IDC in Koh Tao, but it doesn't mean that their instructor qualification is any different to anyone else's who took it elsewhere. Many people I know have become Instructors on Koh Tao and then headed off and worked elsewhere with no problems at all.

Yes totally agree why would getting certified as an instructor in one of if not the busiest dive locations in the on the planet be held in high esteem. Oh wait the same PADI examiners the moderate the Instructor exams all around Asia Pacific do them in Koh Tao as well, so does that mean you should cross off Australia, Bali and New Zealand off places to take your IDC too then? Yes lots of people take their IDC in Koh Tao, but it doesn't mean that their instructor qualification is any different to anyone else's who took it elsewhere. Many people I know have become Instructors on Koh Tao and then headed off and worked elsewhere with no problems at all.
I agree with you about the IE and IDC, does not make much difference where it is conducted (although I would in general recommend to do it there where you want to work after the IDC).

The problem is there are quite a few zero to hero programmes on Koh Tao, which result in instructors who have no experience working and quite often even diving anywhere else but Koh Tao (there are more areas worldwide with the same issue BTW). And the people emerging from those programmes are not held in high esteem, to put it mildly.

This is nothing to do with my opinion, it is a fact. KT has a reputation around the world for people who have never dived before, attaining instructor qualifications by doing the absolute minimum in a short space of time, resulting in some instructors who have followed such programmes, whilst being qualified, are lacking in experience.
I am not saying training in KT is substandard, or anywhere else for that matter, but the fact remains, around the wider world instructor qualifications are sometimes not recognised with the same regard as certifications gained elsewhere.
I have several friends who qualified on KT and actually experienced this negativity towards their qualifications for some time after until they had gained some experience in other locations. I have also experienced instructors that have attained qualifications in this manner myself as a diving customer, some have been fine but many have left a lot to be desired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom