What's Virginia Beach diving like in mid-May? (2017)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPEG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in Suffolk for 11 days and I will have a weekend (May 13-14) to myself for possible diving. I am from California.

What is the viz like in mid-May in the Virginia Beach area? What about the water temperature? Any dive boats to recommend, especially boats who will take someone who will need to buddy-up on board?

Never dove out of VA Beach, but the wind in NC/VA has been blowing pretty steady for the last few weeks. Very few windows to make it out offshore. Just saying, you may want a back-up plan for your free time.

I just looked at NOAA website and looking at a couple buoys, it looks like currently temps are ranging from high 50s to low 60s.

It would be a drive, but you can find warmer diving in the Morehead City/Beaufort area (about 3.5 hours south). Offshore temps are in the low 70s. Again, weather is pretty inconsistent this time of year though. Just thought I'd throw it out there. U-352 is on the bucket list for a lot of people living on the East Coast.

Well I didn't give you much info, but hope the weather settles out and you get to dive one way or another

Went 30 miles offshore of Virginia Beach this last Sunday and dove on a wreck site in 100ft+. Vis was 3 feet at best, temperature was 55F. Think all this rain and wind has messed things up. We went straight back to the boat and headed home.
Trying for better conditions at the end of this coming weekend in Morehead.

That's pretty brutal conditions. I'm supposed to go offshore on Sunday, but it's looking like a 5% chance of that happening. Of course on Monday, conditions are supposed to be nice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom