Gold On The Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Cross

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
By Joe Cross, Big Blue Scuba School, Cheshire

Just another dog walk on the beach in Anglesey brought one eagle eyed man from Macclesfield, Cheshire man a very nice surprise, £11,000 for a piece of Ambergris.

So what it it? Ambergris is a substance used for centuries by the perfume industry to allow scent to last longer. Known for its amazing smell and fixative properties this unreactive natural product of nature it is actually formed from sperm whale faeces and vomit bile.

For years it the source was unknown, thought to be a sea fungus, a strange seaweed or fish liver, the true source only realised at the start of industrial Whaling, another unfortunate discovery. Through years of oxidation ambergris develops its sweet smell and washes up on beaches. As you can imagine it’s very rare and commands a hefty fee.

So how do you know if you have found a piece? Well there’s no easy answer, ambergris come in many different shapes, sizes and even colour. One way to find out is to warm up a needle and stab the ambergris, the genuine article will give off a strong smelling smoke, but beware as it’s highly flammable.

Next time you’re walking along the beach and see an unfamiliar object don’t just pass it by it may be worth a small fortune .. and if not .. cleaning up our beaches is worth a small fortune too ..

So What would you spend your ambergris money on? Let us know in the comments.

I guess when the next whale I meet says their poop don't stink, I'll have to believe them!

o.14050.jpg

It is also important to know your local laws regarding trading in Whale products. There are a lot of jurisdictions where it is illegal to sell Ambergris.

This comes up from time to time. I think last year I heard about some peniless kid finding a $17,000 piece of "the stuff". Fortunately for me, I don't wear perfume so I always just chuckle. I wonder if the people spraying this stuff onto their bodies are aware that it's made from whale vomit (or feces, I understand nobody's 100% sure where it comes from). It does explain why many bottles say "eude de toilet" on them, I guess!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom