Pre-Assembled BP/W ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious, if BP/W manufacturers considered offering their BP/W pre-assembled in 3 sizes with adjustable harness, adjustable crotch strap, weight pockets, accessory pockets all pre-assembled as options. Pre-assembly could be done by the mfr or the vendor selling for an additional price.

The 3 sizes would have pre-cut and sealed webbing. With the adjustable harness and crotch strap, getting a good fit should be possible without having to cut the webbing again.

If the manufacturer properly marketed this option, would this make a BP/W more attractive for the diver who only considered a standard jacket or back inflate BCD ? I think many divers prefer an off the rack BCD and do not want to bother with cutting and sealing webbing, assembling, etc..

I don't think it's practical for a rig with a 1-piece (of webbing) harness. Any adjustment to the length of the shoulder straps means the waist belt length is changed as well. And that means that (usually) every single D-ring has to be moved.

Doing pre-assembled and pre-sized would really just save people the trouble of the assembly process and maybe having to cut the ends of the waist belt and burn. In the grand scheme of effort required to buy and fit a Hogarthian BP/W, that is pretty trivial. The extra cost to the manufacturer, for the labor to pre-assemble, seems like it would drive up the cost for very little real benefit.

That said, I can see the flip side of the coin. It's not much real, practical benefit, but it could definitely make for more appealing marketing material.

@Dive Right In Scuba will thread any harness for you for a small fee when you buy them. The issue with having them pre-threaded is the webbing will take a set from the D-rings and are almost guaranteed to be in the wrong spot regardless of what "size" you make them. It's easy enough with a piece of chalk to set where everything wants to be and even easier with a second person to hold the plate in the right spot

Seems like more of a job for the dive shop than the manufacturer. When I bought mine, I walked out of the store with everything assembled and reasonably well fitted, weight pockets in place, and even bolt snaps and bungees tied on my regulators. Granted, I've disassembled, tweaked, re-threaded, and re-fitted everything several times since then, but I bought it ready to dive.

With helpful and knowledgeable staff, it's not hard at all to make a BP/W approachable to new recreational divers. Or maybe I'm just spoiled. I have multiple really good local dive shops. :)

Agreed a 1 piece harness would not make sense which is why I only suggested an adjustable harness.

Just thinking out loud and wondering if those hesitant to BP/W would change their mind if it was presented and marketed differently. Forget even mentioning BP/W, call it something else with pictures fully assembled and highlight the modularity and ability to add or remove options.

I think some people don't realize how many divers out there are not handy and really do not want to deal with assembly, cutting the harness, burning the ends and adjusting D-ring locations.

I'll give a shout out to xdeep here. I saw the ghost in person the other day and it looked awesome. Go with the non deluxe version and you essentially have a pre assembled DIR bp/wing. The zeos and zen seem nice as well but I haven't actually seen either in person.

The xdeeps might actually by the sexiest bcds out there. It made my freedom plate and oxycheq look homeless. I would love to try one.

Lo
I dive recreational only, no interest in Tech, but I do use a BP/W and 1 piece harness. I am a DIY type and like to tinker with my gear in all my hobbies, not just scuba.

So many recreational only divers asking about BCD get strongly driven towards BP/W by scubaboard members. I like your suggestion of going hybrid or purchasing from a shop that will pre-assemble for those who are hesitant about assembling themselves and have no desire to go Tech.

Look at a Halcyon traveler. I use mine for travel and really like it. Only real set up is positioning the d rings.

Once you start going with preassembled components and adjustable harnesses, what is the benefit of a BP/W over a modular back-inflate like the AL Outlaw? After all, one of the main advantages of a BP/W is configuring it exactly to your requirements.

Threading the BP/W is easy. What takes some time is adjusting it so that everything is exactly how and where you want it and that's not something you can mass produce.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom