Accident Incident or emergency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, as bad as it is, an accident with a dead victim, and without danger for others, would not be considered in emergency, from my point of view.

Interesting perspective, so it is an abnormal situation that cannot be rectified and hence no emergency.
But you could get in trouble if trying to do body recovery or due to emotional stress you hyperventilate and use more gas than planned .... and so an emergency not due to the accident but due to the cascading effects of the accident.

So, as bad as it is, an accident with a dead victim, and without danger for others, would not be considered in emergency, from my point of view.

Interesting,,,
Look at today's events, reg out, no response.....Is this an accident or an emergency in your opinion ?

Georgia man dies diving off Florida Keys

In addition to my post (since I accidently hit the "send button"), I think that the focus with an emergency is the call for immediate action in order to save lives or prevent something dangerous from happening.So, as bad as it is, an accident with a dead victim, and without danger for others, would not be considered in emergency, from my point of view.

Agreed. (btw, You can always go back & edit a post if you accidentally (<<<see what I did there? hahaha) hit post reply too quickly. Though after some time has passed that option goes away.)

Interesting perspective, so it is an abnormal situation that cannot be rectified and hence no emergency. But you could get in trouble if trying to do body recovery or due to emotional stress you hyperventilate and use more gas than planned .... and so an emergency not due to the accident but due to the cascading effects of the accident.

Yep. To me, this is an accident, not an emergency. But was an emergency at some point & could become one again if the divers were in danger.

.....Is this an accident or an emergency in your opinion ?

If there was the possibility that the victim was still alive/ could be saved, I would for sure say it was an emergency.
Speaking of accident.. it is harder to tell. We would have to know the reason for him being unresponsive and having lost the regulator.

But as I mentioned before, I think that for our every-day-use it is not that important to be exact about the definition. That´s rather something for the police, lawyers, judges etc.

Quite often it is a mix of "events" anyway. A further non-diving- example.

A person with known problems with his heart suffers an heart-attack while driving, dies, hits another car the other driver dies as well.
Would it be an emergency? YES, the main reason being that others are also endangered as long as the situation persists and usually bystanders will not be likely to identify whether a person could be saved or is beyond it.
Would it be an accident? Definitely YES. BUT: Driver 1 would not be victim of an accident (but cause). Driver 2 would be a victim of an accident.

Press/ Media would report: Accident with 2 casualties.
Bystanders would most likely say the same and it is totally ok.

And emergency is a sudden unforseen event . An incident is an intentional act. () Example- turning off someone's air, intentionally diving beyond the scope of your own competence, disregarding warnings from a computer or fellow diver). An accident is an unintended event or consequence of an act or omission. Accidents can be reduced by proper training and planning, but not eliminated. I am a fan of simplification. Any emergency is an emergency to be dealt with, regardless of cause.
DivemasterDennis

And emergency is a sudden unforseen event . An incident is an intentional act. () Example- turning off someone's air, intentionally diving beyond the scope of your own competence, disregarding warnings from a computer or fellow diver). An accident is an unintended event or consequence of an act or omission. Accidents can be reduced by proper training and planning, but not eliminated. I am a fan of simplification. Any emergency is an emergency to be dealt with, regardless of cause.
DivemasterDennis

I would disagree with the Definition of emergency and incident. Not every unforseen sudden event would be an emergency... only if there is reason for imediate action and life/ health is at stake.

And why would an incident be something intended?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom