SP Hydros Pro vs Halcyon Eclipse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If Scubapro ever decided to sell the monoprene backplate by itself, I would definitely consider it.

Is there a picture? So we could see if there's a slot for the crotch strap, and will it take the 2" webbing, and how many camband slots there are.

... the dive boat dudes who set up dtanks after each dive hated dealing with BPWs for some reason. Overall the BPWs looked about as streamlined as the Hydros, but seemed to require more fussing and two of the three BPW divers needed crotch straps to hold the BPWs in place during dives.

2 cambands are harder to to deal with when the tank's sandwiched between two other tanks and gunwale. Mine are XS scuba, too: a bit wider and tougher than what you normally see on a regular BCD, with larger cam buckles. And better rubber keepers so they don't slide as well. It is a bit more hassle than average and I do give them a hand with the tank change when I can.

I don't need the crotch strap to hold it all in place, I just need it to keep my head from hitting the 1st stage. :wink:

Actually, though, everyone seemed happy with what they were using, and no one seemed disadvantaged or handicapped by their gear choice, which seems to be a point often overlooked in BCD discussions on Scubaboard.

A point often overlooked in many scubaboard gear discussions, not just BCD's.

About the crotch strap. For me, it is a vital part of the BPW as it allows the shoulder straps to be comfortably loose but keeps the overall BCD and tank stable. I am on the thin side and without a crotch strap, my BPW and all other BCD's I have used will ride up. Some with larger stomachs say they don't have that problem because their belly keeps the waist strap down.

Part of the marketing of the Hydros is the monprene backplate is comfortable and creates friction. The friction combined with the adjustable monprene padded shoulder straps, they claim a crotch strap is not necessary, but can be added as an option. I don't believe anything until I try it, but I can see how friction and a tightened down harness would help.

Is there a picture? So we could see if there's a slot for the crotch strap, and will it take the 2" webbing, and how many camband slots there are.

2 cambands are harder to to deal with when the tank's sandwiched between two other tanks and gunwale.

I looked at a Hydros yesterday. It had one of those molded plastic plates that cradles a tank, and one tank strap.

I don't let anyone else do stuff like swap tanks for me. On a boat (even in rough conditions, like NC on a bad day), I just pull the tank out from the rack onto my actual bench seat to do up the tank straps. With a piece of cave line tied through a slot in my BP, to hold it at the right height on the tank, buckling up my two SP-style QR tank straps is a cinch (pun intended).

I was on a dive boat last week with a guy diving a hydros (along with a variety of other setups, including three people using BPWs, one steel plate, one aluminum and one kydex/plastic). I asked the Hydros guy how he liked his BC and he said he really enjoyed it. He left the integrated weight pockets at home and used a weight belt. I noticed it looked extremely streamlined, did not appear to ride up on him or shift around, and it was dry VERY quickly after dives. He was able to pack it up small enough to carry on board the airline. He was able to travel with just two carry-ons despite having all his own gear.

Once you leave the Hydros pocket things at home, what is the benefit to the Hydros? It seems like it's only that it dries really quickly. But, unlike a BPW, you're stuck with a 40 # wing.

I can fit my BP/W and all my other dive gear (including a full 3/2 wetsuit), except my fins and cutting devices, into 2 carry-ons also. My fins exceed the TSA max length for a carry-on, so I put them in a checked bag with clothes, etc..

BTW, the new AquaLung Outlaw is very minimalist, with optional accessories so you can dress it up to have pockets like the Hydros, etc.. But, the Outlaw has interchangeable wings! They have a 12 # and a 25#. If they produce a 35 - 40# wing, that rig would be a real contender for people who don't want a BP/W, but do want some flexibility/modularity for single tank diving! Actually, it already is, I think.

About the crotch strap. For me, it is a vital part of the BPW as it allows the shoulder straps to be comfortably loose but keeps the overall BCD and tank stable. I am on the thin side and without a crotch strap, my BPW and all other BCD's I have used will ride up. Some with larger stomachs say they don't have that problem because their belly keeps the waist strap down.

Part of the marketing of the Hydros is the monprene backplate is comfortable and creates friction. The friction combined with the adjustable monprene padded shoulder straps, they claim a crotch strap is not necessary, but can be added as an option. I don't believe anything until I try it, but I can see how friction and a tightened down harness would help.

+1 on the crotch strap. I have also taken to positioning my waist belt buckle so that it stays to the left of my crotch strap loop. With it like that, I can slip open the buckle, pull the right side of the waist belt out, and the only left attaching my rig to me is too shoulder straps which, at that point, are nice and loose. I can doff my rig, in the water or out, VERY quickly. But, when it's on, whether I'm diving a single tank or double steel 120s and a deco cylinder, it is totally stable and doesn't move around on me, while at the same time never feeling tight or restrictive in any way. It's just snug - and secured by a 5-point harness. I guess wanting a tight 4-point harness instead is one of those chocolate vs vanilla things.

I have also taken to positioning my waist belt buckle so that it stays to the left of my crotch strap loop. With it like that, I can slip open the buckle, pull the right side of the waist belt out...

:banghead: The loop on mine is just wide enough to push the buckle through, I wouldn't call it a pain but it's definitely more work than it should be. Why have I not thought of not pushing it through instead?

:banghead: The loop on mine is just wide enough to push the buckle through, I wouldn't call it a pain but it's definitely more work than it should be. Why have I not thought of not pushing it through instead?

:rofl3::dork2::cheers:

Once you leave the Hydros pocket things at home, what is the benefit to the Hydros? It seems like it's only that it dries really quickly. ......

What caught my attention was the monprene backplate and shoulder padding.

Marketing: dries quick, no inherent buoyancy, provides comfort, provides friction so a crotch strap is not necessary.

Drying, no buoyancy and comfort are believable. The friction leading to a crotch strap not necessary is possible, but I would want to try it.

I don't have any issues using a crotch strap, but if it was not needed, then that would be 1 less thing to do when getting ready to dive.

I was looking at the Hydros Pro for my significant other. She is skinny and I was worried it would ride up, as has been my experience with ScubaPro BCs. I saw a couple reviews saying a crotch strap is not required and was ready to pull the plug, then saw an influx of reviews that mentioned the need for a crotch strap. I decided to hold off until my LDS gets a unit she can try on in the pool.

If it proves to perform as marketed, I'd hope SP starts selling individual Monprene backplates. It would be a nice alternative to other ultralight backplate materials.

I've been diving with my Hydros Pro for a number of trips with wetsuit and drysuit. I use it without a crotch strap and it stays snug with little movement. Am very happy with this purchase as it is also easy to pack and dries almost instantly.

I wasn't making a statement about the BC's you mention but was responding to @tbone1004's statement about the Hydro's BC.

Some people see to love to attack high end equipment and find every reason to criticize it and bend over backwards to find fault with it and others see it the other way around.

It is interesting that the Atomic new Jacket BC is priced at $1399 yet they can't keep it in stock.

Some people value quality and others value cheap stuff. Whatever floats your fins I guess.
You constantly confuse "high end" with ridiculously expensive. If you would look at value vs price, you would come to a similar conclusion as your buddy Tbone. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom