Help Me Identify this Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The SuperTilt is marketed with Oceanic's face, XS Scuba's face, USD, Aqualung, and a number of others. No problem in that mount, and I don't know if I've ever owned a supertilt that doesn't have a bubble in it.

All VERY HELPFUL info.

Thanks !!!

So I bought the compass from eBay. It arrived yesterday...in just a padded envelope (red flag #1).
There was not a tiny bubble as GJC suggested.
Picture is grainy, but is that a bubble in the middle just left of the red line? ...

Instead, I found almost 1/2 the oil missing (red flag #2).:banghead:
So effectively a giant bubble is against the entire surface (not obvious from the picture I posted) making it look like there are no bubbles (or just a teeny tiny one). If you look to the right, you can maybe see some reflected light. This is where the giant bubble meets the oil
upload_2017-5-13_11-31-28.png

I took the module out of the mount, and found some oil inside the mount and on the bottom of the compass.
I took the compass 'unit' out of the module by unsnapping the bezel and found more oil .

I'm trying to get a refund, but the seller is not being cooperative or even taking responsibility for not shipping it in a box. He insisted it was NOS. (red flag #3). I have filed a refund Request with eBay. They give the seller a week to respond.
(I'm not whining..just telling you the story. I am prepared to take a the 'hit' if there is no refund)

upload_2017-5-13_11-12-28.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-13_11-29-42.png
    upload_2017-5-13_11-29-42.png
    303.2 KB · Views: 36
  • upload_2017-5-13_11-30-30.png
    upload_2017-5-13_11-30-30.png
    301.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
So....some questions (if I get stuck with it)

1) Since I still have a working Supertilt Hose mount
a) I have found a module from XS Scuba that will work for about what I paid for this ($30-ish). Are there any others?
b) Can just the 'capsule' (as in the attached photo) be bought, since the housing/bezel is good? If so, where ?
2) Should I just not worry about using the mount and go find an 'OK' compass of any brand ?
(I only need a compass occasionally and have a precision one on my Vyper Air. Would probably prefer CLIP mount)
3) Anyone got and old one they want to sell (PM me if so).

Thanks.

Mine has a bubble in it also.

Use it until it stops working, then buy the XS Supertilt. Honestly, unless you can find the crack that the oil came out of, the first time you take it diving, sea water will leak in as the bubble compresses. That's what the oil in the compass does, it keeps the ocean out. So, you can drill a small hole in the compass, fill it with glycerine, plug the hole with aquaseal, and the oil will still leak out and the ocean will still leak in.

Buying the $30 supertilt from XS will cause you a lot less headache and heartache.

Let this be a lesson. Had I known you were buying it from eBay, I would have advised against it. There are some things not to buy on eBay. Regulator hoses, fin and mask straps, condoms, and compasses. Those are things that "wear out", even sitting in the shop. It's all well and good to buy used, and you can usually get good deals on eBay, but buyer beware. eBay may make you whole again, but the seller did tell you it had a bubble in it. And it leaked more in transit, so the seller would have no way of knowing it would leak in transit.

So....some questions (if I get stuck with it)

1) Since I still have a working Supertilt Hose mount
a) I have found a module from XS Scuba that will work for about what I paid for this ($30-ish). Are there any others?
b) Can just the 'capsule' (as in the attached photo) be bought, since the housing/bezel is good? If so, where ?
2) Should I just not worry about using the mount and go find an 'OK' compass of any brand ?
(I only need a compass occasionally and have a precision one on my Vyper Air. Would probably prefer CLIP mount)
3) Anyone got and old one they want to sell (PM me if so).

Thanks.
That appears to be a standard sized console compass. We have several 30 year old sherwood branded ones that still work great. You can buy a brand new one for $35

Sherwood Supertilt 2 Compass Module

Bummer about the compass. With that much air, the capsule may crack at depth. At best, seawater will enter as Wookie said.

I have bought a couple regulator sets from EBay that have included a compass that I really didn't need or want. Some were OK, some had bubbles. I actually tried to refill a couple. I was able to get the bubble smaller, but a small bubble always returned. Once plastic and glue age and dry out, there will be cracks and openings you will never be able to fix.

A couple things I bought from EBay were not what I expected. I think a lot of people that sell scuba stuff on EBay have no knowledge of scuba or the item they are selling. Many are up front in saying they inherited the item or got it in an estate sale and have no way of knowing if it works or not. I just consider the money I spent as the tuition cost for learning what to look for in my next purchase.

This may work for you. $29.95 plus shipping. Most modern compasses are a standard size.

Cressi Compass Module

If your open to other alternatives, I use this on my dive computer wrist band. Not great for zero vis navigation, but OK to get you pointed back in the general direction of the boat for tropical diving.

Wrist Compass

Last edited:
but the seller did tell you it had a bubble in it. And it leaked more in transit, so the seller would have no way of knowing it would leak in transit.

I blame me for the eBay purchase...no one else.
Part was believing the NOS part. I thought it would be kind of 'cool' to have a working older compass.

I blame the seller for not wanting to negotiate any return. His attitude was, that it was eBay's problem.

Seller did not tell me it had a bubble in it, GJC thought he saw one from my post. But it was not a bubble as the whole top was covered in 'air' .

As far as transit, putting it in a padded envelope instead of a box was an issue, in my opinion.
Seller did not know better how to pack it or wanted to make it look like a shipping issue.
There was nothing to stop 100 lbs+ of mail from sitting on top of the compass in a padded envelope...but a sturdy box would have done that. If it had been boxed, either the compass would have arrived in working condition, or it would have proved it was defective before it was sent. I believe the seller's picture proves the latter...I just didn't expect the whole top to be covered in air.

I believe the compass had leaked when in possession of the seller, as there was not 1/2 of compass worth of oil in the envelope. The outside of the mount only had a drop or two of oil on it. I found the bulk of the oil when I took the module out of the mount, and the capsule out of the housing.

Last edited:
The Cressi and Sherwood are modules I have not seen.
I will look into them.
Thanks .

I consider it a lesson learned, and it did not break the bank.

I think you are right, that the seller did not know about the item.
Email responses were
1) It worked perfectly when I sent it (it might work OK on land)
2) That is not MY compass in the picture (never saw the compass with the module out of the boot)
3) You must have broken it when you disassembled it. (never looked in the boot before he set it)
4) Have eBay take care of the problem. (Did not want to take any responsibility)
5) It is an Oceanic compass (it was a US Divers compass)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom