Dive Master program but where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking forward to doing my Dive Master training/internship in June and have considered Belize because I know a great instructor in San Pedro who I got to know from a previous vacation. I really like it there but I have been there and also considering a different place to do the training.

Is there any specific country/place in the Caribbean or Central America that you can suggest doing the professional training? Did you do your Dive Master in any "exotic" place?

I see you're from L.A. so why not locally plenty of diving close to home. If you plan on working as a DM somewhere other than SoCal than do it where you plan on working.

I see you're from L.A. so why not locally plenty of diving close to home. If you plan on working as a DM somewhere other than SoCal than do it where you plan on working.
I did it locally too. I've heard shops tend to hire "their own" more readily....makes sense.

Have you considered Stuart Cove in Nassau, Bahamas? I have never trained there but have dived many times with Stuart Cove and have seen how organized they are and have seen how skilled their Dive Masters and trainees are.

Hi, @Midu.

You're from Los Angeles, a fellow Californian! While it's so tempting and easy to go somewhere with warm water, great viz, and amazing beaches, I chose to do my DM in California (San Francisco/Northern CA) right at home. Why?

I feel like if I can successfully complete my DM here and do it well, I can dive and do it well elsewhere. The conditions here are on the more challenging side with cold water, poor viz, etc. it's the best training and practice I could hope for. When I did my rescue in CA, it was pretty nice having no box and having to find a lost or missing diver.

You have a great shop near you that I like - Malibu Divers. Their program is great and you have the opportunity to work at Camp emerald bay for Boy Scouts.

Okay first off I agree with everyone suggesting that you train Local to where you are going to be working. Now in the event that you are deadest on training abroad I would suggest that you be very careful with the program that you choose. Let's face it some of the training available abroad is nothing more than shops pumping out pro training like its a factory. The problem with that is it's not the full scope that you need to be ready to work as a DM. Take your time, find a shop to train at where its more than just the 5 day program. Spend time working with the shop during your training, learn as much as you can. Becoming a "working" DM isn't something that you can learn in 5 days. It takes time, it takes patience , and it takes the humbleness to do the grunt work and be the low man on the totem pole. Be careful with who you choose because your employer one day is going to expect a certain level of ability from you on day one.

As far as places to train, St Croix has some really good shops like Cane Bay and then St Croix scuba, however, in my opinion one of the best training facilities operating right now is in Orlando with Dive Station Orlando. Tyler Hammel is the Course Director and does a incredible job, they also do a extended program called their Professional Dive Master program which really prepares you for what you are going to be asked to do as a DM.

Stuarts Cove in the Bahamas is good, and you can't leave out places like Rainbow Reef in key largo, or Florida Keys Dive Center (flakeys)

Best of Luck

Thanks for the replies! I did all education up to Rescue Diver in SoCal (Catalina, Channel Islands, Anacapa etc.) I agree that it is far more challenging and it prepares you well for what ever warm water dives come after. To be honest, I just enjoy warm water, tropical diving much more due to the underwater wildlife (photography) and the ease of warm water diving in general, I guess just like most people, I was considering going somewhere tropical for that reason.

After researching a bit I found out that most DM programs in foreign countries take at least 4 weeks. There are some that let you take 2 weeks online material at home and 2 weeks diving/training in their dive center.

Stuart's Cove is a good idea (I dove with them before) even though I found them a bit too commercial, very busy with all the cruise ship people and snorkel tours.

I actually contacted an instructor in Belize who I dove the Blue Hole with in regards to the DM program and he is inquiring about it in his local shop Amigos Del Mar, San Pedro. I could imagine Belize would be a nice laid back place to do the program but it's so hard to decide, with so many great destinations, St. Croix sounds amazing too...

@outofofficebrb
@Tank4507
@NorCalDM

My point was not for the challenging part but preparing you for the environment you will be working in if you're going to work in a resort location go there to get trained if you're going the work in California get trained locally. You will most likely find it easier to get work where you were trained if you don't plan on working as a DM spend your money and go diving don't do it for the cert.

I you are planning on working locally as a DM train locally. The duties of DM's is often related to where they are working. In warm water their main duty often is to lead dives for the shop/operator with some helping/teaching classes. in other places it maybe reversed where most of the shops need for DM's is in the teaching aspect of DMing with some guiding or running fun dives. How and what you will be trained for will be the focus of the class where you are taking the class because they will train you for what THEY need from a DM.

If you are planning on working where you live it is easier to get a job with the shop that trained you as you will be known quantity to the shop and will have history with them and are familiar with how they operate. If you trained in warm water and want to DM in colder water the shops may say we need someone who knows how to work under our conditions. In many area DM's are e dime a dozen and you will need in it get work with a shop. If you work as an independent you will have to pay for your own insurance but if you contract/work for a shop you may be able to be covered under their umbrella insurance for a small premium.

Back
Top Bottom