Reef friendly sunscreen and hair products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone! I think I have a good idea what to look for in a reef friendly sunscreen (it seems that if I look pasty white I should be ok!), but I'm in a bind in terms of hair products. I like to thoroughly soak my hair in fresh water and then apply a liberal amount of conditioner before I go in the water (then wash and condition again after each dive). But I'm guessing that no matter how little or much I spend on the product it probably won't be good for the fish or the reef life.

Do any of you know if using plain old coconut oil is a-ok - and if yes, have any of you done this with success? I'm not sure I'd be able to get a comb through my hair after a dive using just coconut oil. I've tried Lush solid shampoo (and really like it) but the solid conditioner isn't good for detangling (it's like not adding anything at all to my hair).

Hoping someone has some great ideas!

I happily use and recommend Stream2Sea products, including their leave in conditioner and sunscreen.

Caveat. I am friends with the manufacturer.

I love Stream2Sea! Their sunscreen is far better than most of the other products out there which claim to be reef-friendly, but aren't. Their moisturizer, conditioner & other products are wonderful as well. Even her product packaging is eco-friendly...made from packaged in sugar cane resin.

So I'm really happy with them & glad the products are all reef-friendly. (Frankly until this year, I never thought about the lotion/conditioner/etc. I was putting on me before I dove. I was always careful to use a good sunscreen, but it just didn't occur to me that the other body products on me could be impacting the ocean.)

Stream2Sea was also just recommended by Vogue.

Caveat: I approached Stream2Sea about a month ago wanting to include them in an article I was writing because I loved their products. Since that time, I've become friendly with the owner. She's a diver & very committed to the ocean.

I'm really glad to hear positive things about it! I never put in leave in conditioner before I dive because of the possible impact to the water and just deal with the horrible tangle later. My hair is so long that even with braids it takes me forever to untangle... I'm definitely going to try this now :)

I'm really glad to hear positive things about it! I never put in leave in conditioner before I dive because of the possible impact to the water and just deal with the horrible tangle later. My hair is so long that even with braids it takes me forever to untangle... I'm definitely going to try this now :)

I'd also suggest getting a special de-tangling brush. I never believed in these, but omg they sure make a difference as well.

Ok, I'm going to get a bundle of hair/body shampoo, sunscreen (30spf) and leave-in conditioner at amazon for $42.85 (in case anyone was wondering about the price point). I've done a lot of reading about how the sunscreen we use is so damaging to the reef, so I'm really glad to see this. I also have had several skin cancers and cannot afford to skip or skimp.

Thanks so much!

I happily use and recommend Stream2Sea products, including their leave in conditioner and sunscreen.
@Wookie,

Was there a different reef safe product you had recommended for getting into thick skin-in wetsuits?

@Wookie,

Was there a different reef safe product you had recommended for getting into thick skin-in wetsuits?
I wear board shorts and rash guard until I have to cut my dive short because I get cold, and then go straight to a drysuit. I use talcum on my seals, which is reef safe as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom