Brand new...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats! OW at Tobermory - I'm jealous! I'll be diving wrecks on Lakes Michigan and Huron this summer (GL wrecks are my passion).

I dove 49F/9C water in our local quarry yesterday, but I was diving dry.

Thankfully, air temp shouldn't be TOO bad. But it'll still be 4 dives over the weekend, so it'll still be putting on wet gear. If my boots are any indication though, I shouldn't have too much of an issue!
We would bring a large cooler filled with hot water to soak gloves/boots/hoods --and at times feet-- in between cold dives. I was always amazed that with the lid on while not in use the water retained a lot of it's heat.

Welcome to diving & Scubaboard. I did my OW in a quarry in Pennsylvania. 43F/6.1C in a 7mm with a hooded vest. I wasn't cold really, but was shocked by how brutal the water was on my uncovered face at first. Till it went blissfully numb. So be prepared for that bit. Now, I still sometimes dive locally in the cold water of PA/NJ/NY, but more often it's warm water for me.

We would bring a large cooler filled with hot water to soak gloves/boots/hoods --and at times feet-- in between cold dives. I was always amazed that with the lid on while not in use the water retained a lot of it's heat.

It's amazing isn't it? Line it with tinfoil first, and you cancook corn on the cob that way!

howdy and welcome from the warm waters of southeast Florida USA.....

Welcome to the forum and to the world beneath the surface. Enjoy Tobermory and the wide, wide world that those dives will then open up to you.

Looking forward to my next trip "up north" to your neck of the woods. It has been a long winter, and I am starting to get hungry for Webers.

Welcome to ScubaBoard Zabnee. A great place to be and learn from fellow divers.

I already have some 7mm suits!
Welcome... As a resident of Tobermory for much of the year, I recommend 2 layers of 7mm over the torso... The water in mid June will likely be about 46 - 48 F. You'll be ok doing one dive, but by the second, I suspect you'll be frozen.

By the third, you'll be shopping for land in Belize.

Welcome... As a resident of Tobermory for much of the year, I recommend 2 layers of 7mm over the torso... The water in mid June will likely be about 46 - 48 F. You'll be ok doing one dive, but by the second, I suspect you'll be frozen.

By the third, you'll be shopping for land in Belize.

Stoo, I've read several of your posts, and even been looking at your photography website! Thanks for this suggestion, I might just have to find a way to follow through with this. Now, we are just doing the Lighthouse x3 Saturday, and The Tugs x1 on the Sunday.. I've also taken to heart the post I read somewhere about hot water in a cooler for hood/gloves/booties, and shared that with my hubby.

Thanks for the info!

Hot water is a grand idea... kinda eases you into things... The Tugs are just down the street from my place, so I"ll listen for you shrieking... ;-)

The thing is that when you're new to diving, everything is way up there on the awesome scale, so the cold is less noticeable. Also, your dives will likely not be too long. But still, warmer is always better than colder.

Back
Top Bottom