Another dive season coming up for RI/Jamestown/Newport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was a good choice. You hit it just right! With the winds we've been getting most any other site wouldn't have been as good. I was thinking of going there Mon. the 15th for my 1st dive of the season and my 1st dive as a 63 year old diver. However as the killjoy :wink: Resqdivemedic points out the vis will most likely suck so I think striper fishing on the Pawcatuck River, Westerly from my yak, followed by a trip to see my Grandsons will be the alternative. Hope the weather turns better soon. Thanks for the report.

I will be in Wakefield, RI on Sunday May 21. Are there any charters available in the vicinity, or shore dive locations where my car won't get towed?

There are a handful of shore dives within 30 minutes of there.
Jamestown, Beavertail, Ft. Adams, Newport, just to name a few. A simple Google search will give you the results you are looking for. If you would like more info or a dive buddy for the day just let us know. Most people on the forum here are more than willing to share some of their time or knowledge.

I would suggest Kings Beach or Fort Adams in Newport and or Fort Wetherill in Jamestown. All have off the road parking and fairly easy access to the water. Watch the weather this week, if any storms head up the coast or the winds are out of the south it tends to decrease visibility.

Be advised May 15 the Newport Pell Bridge is one lane till July!

I remember diving from Narragansett Pier No.5 years ago. It is a very short drive from Wakefield; is it still accessible in terms of parking?

Green Bridge has road side parking also. Land's End in Newport is a nice site, but has limited spots that don't require a city permit. I dove there and heard conflicting stories from police at the site about what is okay and what is not. On multiple occasions I have seen wreckers removing illegally parked cars. If you are diving Newport, go by and check what the current posted parking rules are and report back. I don't think I will be up there myself until sometime in June.

Beaver tail has easier parking, but shore enteries are mor challenging.

The dumplings is an easy shore enters, but you need to cross the boating channel to get out to the house on the rock, so this is the time of year to do it.

Going out of Newport on Wednesday for blackfish. Will report back!

I remember diving from Narragansett Pier No.5 years ago. It is a very short drive from Wakefield; is it still accessible in terms of parking?

I know there is a small parking lot there but tends to fill up with fishermen. I think because of the area facing basically out to the open ocean the area might get pretty rough especially beyond the jetty. I dove near the Point Judith lighthouse last year and when we went in the seas were not that bad but after 45 minutes under we took a beating on the exit. Might be the same for that area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom