Tipping at restaurants?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't believe that North Americans might be so averse to tipping wait staff on Bonaire, regardless of what you think the Dutch or Belgians might do or not do.

Food service worker are underpaid throughout the Caribbean and providing a decent tip is only fair.
I personally tip 15% for average service and 20% for good or excellent.

I wish they were paid more and my restaurant meal cost proportionally more--that would seem fair to me. But I am not a philanthropist. If I could afford to be a philanthropist, I would start a foundation to help all the impoverished service workers of the world. Heck, if Bonaire itself wanted to start some sort of program that collected extra money from a tourist tax and doled it out to service workers in restaurants, hotels, etc., that would be wonderful, too. But in my opinion, tipping is not the answer to service workers' financial predicaments.

Just out of curiosity, what parts of the USA have you been to?

San Fran, LA, Denver, New Orleans, Miami, New York, and Vegas.

I'm pretty much comparing major cites with major cities in Australia.

And it's not just Australia, I'm in New Zealand this week, 2 nights dinners in Auckland CBD, under $30usd each including wine per person. One was a touristy waterfront restaurant, the other a "decent" uptown dig.

I tip.

I don't see what another diner's behavior has to do with mine. If they don't tip (culturally or otherwise) ... that's their choice.

I have not seen an included service charge anywhere on Bonaire (5 trips). My understanding is that ended around 2010. Some hotels (resorts) may still include one though (I'm told).

Honestly, even if I "over-tip" a bit that's ok. I'm on Bonaire.. I'm on holiday. They are working --- it's hot, humid, sweaty and they are serving me with a smile. That's enough for me.

I agree with you completely, Livethedream.

Agree with LivetheDream and Doctorfish. Do what you wish. Most of us are on vacation with the privilege of being able to afford enjoying ourselves and service staff are trying to earn a living. Not trying to guilt trip anyone, just saying that you should live by your own principles. :)
"Be Kind" is a principle I try to live by.

What is the norm these days? Coming from the U.S. tipping standards. :)
Depends on how much I have drunk that night! :D :D :D Usually I'm pretty stable.

Agree with LivetheDream and Doctorfish. Do what you wish. Most of us are on vacation with the privilege of being able to afford enjoying ourselves and service staff are trying to earn a living. Not trying to guilt trip anyone, just saying that you should live by your own principles. :)
"Be Kind" is a principle I try to live by.

I agree with those who are saying "Do what you wish." Just don't say "Do what you wish" and then follow it with an implication that what YOU do is "kind," because it could be read as implying that someone who does otherwise is not kind. I think it sort of negates the "Do what you wish." If I came from a country where there is no tipping, I might feel I am not considered a kind person. I myself come from the US, and Bonaire is heavily influenced by American visitors, so I do bring my tipping practices with me there, but I am sensitive to the fact that not every "kind" person in the world understands or wishes to participate in the US tipping thing on Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom