Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just talked to the owner of Coco's and they said the air port is closed by the military at this time. The other option you have is fly into Chetumal which makes it a 2hr drive instead of 4hr.

Last edited:
Yeah, that ain't gonna happen...would need air service for me to book.....back to little Cayman I guess.

I just talked to the owner of Coco's and they said the air port is closed by the military at this time. The other option you have is fly into Chetumal which makes it a 2hr drive instead of 4hr.

Thanks for the info!

I've done 4-hour travel (& even longer) to get to a secluded location & have been well rewarded for my patience...only me & a few others on the dive sites. Pristine sites! And that's what it seems like they have. +Manatees & whale sharks. I'm definitely down for this trip.

I have stayed at costa de coco about 8 years ago. My son and I drove from cancun.
We enjoyed the trip very much.
Remote location. Bring what you will need with you.
Very laid back.
Diving was good, but limited due to strong winds at times. It was late December.
Accommodations were thatch roof cabanas.
Food was good and very fresh seafood and vegies.
I would like to go back and get out to Chincuro Banks sometime.
If you require a resort then this is not for you, but if you enjoy trying new places and don't mind driving then it is worth a trip.

Thanks for the info!

I've done 4-hour travel (& even longer) to get to a secluded location & have been well rewarded for my patience...only me & a few others on the dive sites. Pristine sites! And that's what it seems like they have. +Manatees & whale sharks. I'm definitely down for this trip.
There is another option I found, you can fly into Mahahual which is a 40 minute drive to Xcalak.

We road tripped down.
Flew to cun by noon.
Rented car. (checked for roadworthiness, 1 st one rejected)
Headed south. Stopped at a mega or chedraui along the way.
Bought cooler and ice, beverages, snacks, fruit, etc.
Headed south to Tulum, directly to beach.
Eat dinner at the Argentine (or was it Brazillian) Churrascaria for one of the best meals ever.
Found a cheap room for the night.
Breakfast from the cooler(yogurt, fruit, granola, muffins)
South to Mahahaul for lunch, beach, fill cooler and gas.
Stopped by feds at roadblock. I said " tourista americano via xcalac para buceo" I gave them a few cold cokes and they smiled and sent us on our way.
South to Xcalak for four days.
Last section of road down is jungle and rough. No place to pull off, no cell service at the time.(not sure about now)
Stayed at Costa, dove with XTC.
9/10 would do again.

One afternoon after diving we were sitting on the deck overlooking the blue water while we waited for our lobster mango pizza. I was hungry from diving and asked for some bread to settle my stomach. They brought out some bread and butter which I ate with a pinch of salt and pepper. It tasted amazing and at first I thought it was just me being hungry or the setting on the beach, but it really was delicious. I expressed my pleasure to the waiter who then explained that the bread was made from scratch and was just finished cooling. The butter was from a local cow. The salt was local sea salt and the pimenta was freshly ground from a variety of pepper corns. It was really good bread and butter. The pizza was good also.
Had a great time.
Drove back to playa
Dropped off car.
Ferry to Coz.
3 days with Aldora on the southern reefs with experienced nitrox divers,120's and our fav DM.
One of our best trips.
I love adventure especially when combined with diving.

Would it be easier to go north from Belize (or is the border crossing a pita)?

Back
Top Bottom