Ferrari-- Toyota-- KIA Of Diving Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How people feel comfortable calling Deep 6 the Toyota of dive gear. Toyota. Seriously? Toyota is a proven, reliable brand with long history and trustworthiness. Have you heard of the Toyota Production System? Deep 6 has not earned that privilege.

Typical circle-jerk forum mentality. Casually, the best brands in the business seem to be owned by people who frequent this forum board. What a coincidence!

Edit: I don't have anything against Deep 6. In fact, I am very much excited about what they are doing and looking forward to trying some of their products. But, if anything, they are the Tesla of dive gear.

Last edited:
I need advice, What is the top scuba gear for the money is the question? I find numerous opinions when I search the web. I want to use this comparison for better clarification. As with cars. I know the Ferrari is the best, But To Expensive for a regular (none rich) guy like me.

Ferrari is best at what? Perhaps it's because I spent a lot of time in rural settings (e.g.: dirt roads), or am fairly tall, broad and chunky (& don't like cars that sit low), plus I'm not a millionaire (out of my price range), but when I see a Ferrari, I see a hideously-priced glitzy foo-foo car that can't go places a 4-WD SUV can, so it's functionally impaired. Of course, if you're trying to look rich, then I guess it's the bomb.

If I wanted expensive gear, I'd start my search like this...

1.) Regulator - I'd look at the upper tier Atomic Aquatics reg.s. Not that I'd expect them to breathe better than my B2, but for several hundred dollars more they be a little lighter weight!

2.) BCD - If I wanted a jacket, long as I was perusing Atomic Aquatics, I'd check out their new BC1 (thread on that). If I didn't choke on the price, the advantages might be nice. Of course, I might consider BP/W, in case IIRC, Halcyon is the prestige brand.

3.) Fins - I don't know a prestige brand, although I'd want spring straps of course; probably order a pair of Eddy fins; if I liked Ferrari red, I might like Eddy orange. (Disclaimer: I recently ordered a pair of Eddy 2XL soft material black fins, for practical reasons, not glamour).

4.) Mask - since the Oceanic 'with computer built in' mask hasn't been updated in quite awhile, I'd go for a high end Atomic.

5.) Computer - well, Shearwater is both impressively reputable and well-regarded for capability and value. For a console computer, perhaps an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 2 (which I have and love!). Get both for maximum bling!

To me, that's a Ferrari style set of dive gear and unlike the car, it should serve in a broad range of diving environments. But I don't think all those choices are significantly functionally superior to alternatives. My point is, don't waste your money on prestige branding.

For value, I'm happy with an Atomic B2 reg., my old Sherwood Avid jacket BCD works fine (but Sherwood BCDs have been in the news in a bad way lately on Undercurrent; whatever I got, I'd want rear weight trim pockets, weight-integrated system and steel d-rings), AquaLung SeaQuest Visage mask (seals well on me, which is rare; way cheaper than my Atomic, though frameless backup masks would be easier to stuff in a BC pocket for solo diving), Eddy fins on order, like my Cobalt 2 but if buying new would seriously consider a Shearwater Perdix AI.

But value is relative to what you want to do. A drysuit diver might want heavier fins, like ScubaPro jet fins. Many people like BP/W, & I haven't tried one. Some folks want a cheaper wrist unit like a Geo 2.

Richard.

How people feel comfortable calling Deep 6 the Toyota of dive gear. Toyota. Seriously? Toyota is a proven, reliable brand with long history and trustworthiness. Have you heard of the Toyota Production System? Deep 6 has not earned that privilege.

Typical circle-jerk forum mentality. Casually, the best brands in the business seem to be owned by people who frequent this forum board. What a coincidence!

Edit: I don't have anything against Deep 6. In fact, I am very much excited about what they are doing and looking forward to trying some of their products. But, if anything, they are the Tesla of dive gear.

it is important to remember that Deep6 is not a manufacturer in this conversation. The manufacturer for these regulators is very analogous to Toyota in terms of offering a very solid product very consistently. Deep6 is one of the brands that they OEM for and have some custom tweaks to their regulators vs. the other regs they sell. If you want to use car analogies, ODS is Toyota, and Deep6 is a Lexus. Still a Toyota, just a special one

Deep6 is one of the brands that they OEM for and have some custom tweaks to their regulators vs. the other regs they sell. If you want to use car analogies, ODS is Toyota, and Deep6 is a Lexus. Still a Toyota, just a special one

You know for sure that ODS is the OEM for D6 not Aquatec or other(s)?

The most expensive single item that I ever bought for scuba diving is the Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox back in 97/98. I believe it was well over US$300.00 locally and it is still working. Money well spent.
I was introduced to Apeks regs right in the beginning of my tec training(98/99) and never look back. Learnt how to service it(easy) was rewarding.
Value for money is my belief. There is no way that I will waste any money on H's wing or computer with P(animal) name. Because as far I am concerned there are suitable alternatives.

Go diving.

Toyota of regs is Sherwood. Sherwood didn't start making its own line of regs until 1972, however they were the manufacturer for regulators and/or regulator parts for all the players in the US SCUBA industry from 1955.

In 1958, engineers from Sherwood Manufacturing modified the piston regulator for underwater. Several other manufacturers adopted the piston design over the other widely used diaphragm design. Most regulators made today are a direct descendant of this reg, so now you know who to blame for the lack of diaphragm first stages on the market.

About 1980 they invented the dry bleed system that environmentally seals the first stage for cold water diving.

The use of Sherwood in rental fleets since the '80's attests to their being tough, easily maintained, and a good value.

Although I may use other second stages, I like metal seconds, I'll have a Sherwood as my first, unless I'm diving a full on vintage rig.

Bob

It also contains twice the vowels of the leading competitors and 3 times that of the Polish brand.

Deep 6 Aeeaaaaeeegooeeeenn regulators. Now with extra "Aaaaeeeee!"

JK, wouldn't trade mine in for anything. Till you release the Zrxytcl model anyway.

Sorry @RainPilot. I like Zrxytcl, but it looks like that name will have to wait til another day... Just a hair too late I guess :(

Regulator Name Change

umm.. I agree.

I do however want to do all I can to reach the level of respect for quality a Toyota..or better yet Honda. That will take time, and effort, some already put in, much more needed

Toyota of regs is Sherwood. Sherwood didn't start making its own line of regs until 1972, however they were the manufacturer for regulators and/or regulator parts for all the players in the US SCUBA industry from 1955.

In 1958, engineers from Sherwood Manufacturing modified the piston regulator for underwater. Several other manufacturers adopted the piston design over the other widely used diaphragm design. Most regulators made today are a direct descendant of this reg, so now you know who to blame for the lack of diaphragm first stages on the market.

About 1980 they invented the dry bleed system that environmentally seals the first stage for cold water diving.

The use of Sherwood in rental fleets since the '80's attests to their being tough, easily maintained, and a good value.

Although I may use other second stages, I like metal seconds, I'll have a Sherwood as my first, unless I'm diving a full on vintage rig.

Bob
don't always base the current status of a brand on history.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom