Motion Sickness Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clark Fletcher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
After a long absence from the sport, I've recently started diving again.

The only troubling part is that I find I'm still prone to motion sickness. I first discovered this many years ago when I was in the Navy. However, given that I was on submarines, it normally wasn't a problem.

That being said, I've also found over the years that the only thing that has ever been effective for me is Transderm Scop patches. On a recent dive trip, I actually missed one of two dives because of motion sickness after taking Dramamine before the dive. Turns out, I didn't get sick on the surface. I got sick under water due to a particularly strong surge that day. I hate throwing up in my regulator.

So, my question is, for those who dive with the Transderm Scop patches, is it possible to dive with them lower on your neck (as opposed to directly behind the ear) so that they will be covered by your wetsuit? I ask this question because I've never been diving with a patch on and I'm concerned that they may be prone to getting washed off.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Fletch

I know I'm not directly answering your question - forgive me - but did you try taking the Dramamine the night before AND the morning of your dive? Works like a charm for me. Hope someone else has an answer to your question.

The patches need to be behind the ear to be effective. It is, after all, the inner ear they are working on....
Yes, they sometimes wash off. A light hood can help.

or putting a bandaid over the patch can help. My husband doesn't have a huge problem with patches falling off but it seems the first patch of a trip is the likeliest to come off, after that they seem to stay. Maybe all those long saltwater baths help.

I know I'm not directly answering your question - forgive me - but did you try taking the Dramamine the night before AND the morning of your dive? Works like a charm for me. Hope someone else has an answer to your question.

Actually took the Dramamine at 6 AM the morning of the dive. The boat was supposed to leave at 8 but, all dives got canceled due to high winds. I took another dose at 11 AM and the afternoon boat left the dock at 1 PM. Did not work at all.

I used Dramamine extensively in the Navy (prior to Transderm Scope becoming available) and it never worked for me. I know a lot of folks who have used Dramamine with great success. I'm apparently just one of those folks that it doesn't seem to help.

Fletch

or putting a bandaid over the patch can help. My husband doesn't have a huge problem with patches falling off but it seems the first patch of a trip is the likeliest to come off, after that they seem to stay. Maybe all those long saltwater baths help.

Good suggestion. I'll try a bandaid over the patch.

or waterproof tape. I use it on my feet to protect from rubbing full foot fins when doing liveaboards and 4/5 dives a day. Says on.

Your best advice will probably come from your pharmacist. Here is one older reply to your same question that I will cut and paste...

Kristi is partially right - putting the drug behind the ear gets an increased local effect on the nerve fibers in the inner ear responsible for nausea.

The main reason, however, is one of drug absorption. When the drug was being designed, the manufacturer based the dosing properties on behind-the-ear application of the patch. When you apply it to other parts of the body, you could get more or less drug, depending on the location and your body's composition.

My guess is that the manufacturers chose the area behind the ear for the local effect and because the amount of subcutanous fat, skin thickening, etc. at that location probably varies less than at other parts of the body (think thighs).

Hope that helps. If you want to get technical, here's a little presentation on the whole issue for pharmacists.

- G

Take the Scop orally and take less- drowsy dramamine the night before.

Clean the skin with an alcohol wipe before applying (allow enough time to dry) then carefully apply and ensure it is well sealed to your skin and flat. Then IMMEDIATELY wash your hands well, with soap.

I have not had a patch fall off and I've used it on 4-5 fairly long trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom