New BC for travel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What bc do you have experience with? You are recommending a bc you have seen on a boat and implying bp/w users are in a cult and in need of rescue. That's cute but what exactly is the purpose of your post?

I thought my comment was cute, too. Glad you liked it. Frankly, some BPW people...many, perhaps...do sometimes seem like they are in a cult and cannot see how anyone would not share their emotional attachments to the BPW. One sign of this is how seriously some of them take the subject and any perceived slight to the BPW merits some sort of BPW fatwa. The purpose of my post was to answer the OP's question by suggestion some BCs that I think might fit what he said he was looking for. I would have thought that was obvious.

One doesn't need to have used a particular product or gone some particular place to think it looks appealing or might fit the needs of someone looking for suggestions. I have not yet been to Fiji, but if someone told me they wanted to dive in warm water where there were large amounts of brightly colored soft coral and lots of fish life, I would suggest they check out Fiji based on what I have heard and read about the place.

I know people who have Zumas, I have talked with people who have Zumas about their Zuma, I have read reviews by people who have used Zumas, and I have seen them in use. I have, from time to time over a number of years considered getting one when I wished my scuba stuff was lighter while traveling. I just got back form a week diving with two people with Zumas and we talked extensively about scuba gear during that week, as divers will do. They look like a nice travel BC and if someone is looking for a lightweight travel BC, then I think they are worth looking into. The Scubapro Hydros is new. I know one person who owns one and have talked to him about his and seen him diving in it and seen him transporting it. It, too looks like it might be a good choice for travel, so again, I suggested it was worth looking at. I also suggested the OP consider a BPW, mostly to try to be neutral and inclusive.

Since you asked, I have owned and used used Oceanic, Aqualung and Zeagle BCs, all back inflates, and in the past have used rental or loaner Scubapro, Cressi and Mares BCs. I even tried a BPW...I also have three other divers in my family who have used and owned a variety of the same products. For what the OP was describing, I don't think any of the BCs that I have owned fit his request as well as the ones I suggested. I don't seek self validation by getting people to use what I use. Personally, I think for many people, a BPW is not the best choice for diving a single tank in warm water, but for those who like them or need them because they can't get a BCD that fits well, there is nothing wrong with them and for people who need something that they can also use for cold water diving or multiple tanks, sidemount, etc., it might be the best choice. Its just a that a LOT of people are not doing that kind of diving and are not interested in the intricacies of webbing, plate sizes and materials, wing sizes, how many D rings they can fit on their straps, add-on weight pouches, etc.

If the OP had said he wanted a BPW and was looking for suggestions as to brand, plate size, wing size, etc., I would have kept quiet because I don't have enough information to offer any help. I of course would not have tried to convince that person to get a BCD, even if I thought it a better choice.

I am happy that you like your BPW and sorry that the Zuma has insufficient D rings for your wife. As you say, I am sure she would be happier with a BPW or perhaps a more deluxe BCD, and I hope she finds what she likes.

I saw the lite hawk older model on sale for $250. Anything wrong with the 2013 version?
The older has 50 lbs of lift the actual has 30 lbs of lift and trim pocket incorporated at the harness

Last edited:
So I bought the Cressi Ultralight. Just took it to Mexico. Absolutely loved it. Five stars. Barely noticed it was on.

So I bought the Cressi Ultralight. Just took it to Mexico. Absolutely loved it. Five stars. Barely noticed it was on.
Congratulations. It sounds as though you are really pleased with your BCD, and when "push comes to shove", that is really all that matters.

I have looking for a new BC for traveling and I like the Dive Rite Travel Pac. TravelPac BCD | Dive Rite For the most part it has stainless steel hardware, it's back inflate, it has 2 cam straps, it's simple with no extra stuff all over it.

I have looking for a new BC for traveling and I like the Dive Rite Travel Pac. TravelPac BCD | Dive Rite For the most part it has stainless steel hardware, it's back inflate, it has 2 cam straps, it's simple with no extra stuff all over it.
My buddy bought the DGX BP/W package for US$299.00(most basic form) and happy. All he needs is weight belt and weight in tropical warm water diving.

I was also looking at this but the description says it can only accept 10lbs of weight and I normally take 12-14lbs in tropical waters so passed on it. Does it really have so little lift?

Dogbowl. It has 25 lbs of lift. Your wet-suit and aluminum tank will add positive buoyancy also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom