Question to the mods...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think the thread will hurt UTD at all, especially in it's current location. Randy has presented a fresh look for UTD in contrast to the experience of a few of us. I like it. I like your direction.

O.....K......

Personally I think the biggest enemy to UTD is UTD.

There's just too much stuff they take as "doctrine" (or even "religion") that doesn't even remotely correspond to the current best practices in (technical) diving. In particular they have been utterly unable to keep up with deco theory, which to a technical diver is really the foundation of safety. This, in itself, would be reason enough to me to avoid it despite its strong points.

In terms of strong points, the 100% focus on good trim and buoyancy control is valuable and necessary. However, that is no longer the exclusive realm of technical agencies. Even recreational agencies are also moving on this baseline to the point that (and I really do mean this seriously) a decent PADI OW diver who has had a good instructor and a Fundies diver who has had a decent instructor are hard to distinguish in terms of buoyancy control with 10 or 20 post certification dives (even though the fundies diver needs to be certified to start their training).

The problem with "doctrine" or "religion" is that it doesn't easily change. In 1997 DIR was the only statement of best practices we had as divers, which is why it became so popular. In 2017 divers have integrated, innovated and developed and even training agencies have learned and modernized. DIR (and especially UTD) is quickly becoming a throw back to the last course AG took as a student and has failed to keep pace and modernize as the industry has changed.

That's not to say that UTD has no value but that value is waning year on year as the industry develops and UTD does not. In any case, that's my opinion.

R..

Last edited:
O.....K......

There's just too much stuff they take as "doctrine" (or even "religion") that doesn't even remotely correspond to the current best practices in (technical) diving. In particular they have been utterly unable to keep up with deco theory, which to a technical diver is really the foundation of safety. This, in itself, would be reason enough to me to avoid it despite its strong points.

In terms of strong points, the 100% focus on good trim and buoyancy control is valuable and necessary. However, that is no longer the exclusive realm of technical agencies. Even recreational agencies are also moving on this baseline to the point that (and I really do mean this seriously) a decent PADI OW diver who has had a good instructor and a Fundies diver who has had a decent instructor are hard to distinguish in terms of buoyancy control with 10 or 20 post certification dives (even though the fundies diver needs to be certified to start their training).

The problem with "doctrine" or "religion" is that it doesn't easily change. In 1997 DIR was the only statement of best practices we had as divers, which is why it became so popular. In 2017 divers have integrated, innovated and developed and even training agencies have learned and modernized. DIR (and especially UTD) is quickly becoming a throw back to the last course AG took as a student and has failed to keep pace and modernize as the industry has changed.

That's not to say that UTD has no value but that value is waning year on year as the industry develops and UTD does not. In any case, that's my opinion.

R..

I think you are incorrect on several points there....

That can be said about every agency, can't it?

I think you are incorrect on several points there....
How so? Not being argumentative, but I want to know how you think he's wrong.

BTW, being picky, an ellipse only has three dots. Two is lacking and four is plum excessive. You can learn more here: Ellipses | Punctuation Rules

I think you'll find it's plumb excessive.

Not to be picky or anything.

Nope don't see the plum meaning. Unless you mean that excess is desirable, in which case I'm back on board.

Whether you agree with UTD or not, I agree with your POV.
My apologies Randy....My smartassedness sometimes does not come through on keyboards and usually sounds funnier in my head then they actually are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom