Pros and cons of BFKs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How often do you expect to use it.?

My knife has been used once. To cut the pineapple during the SI.

It is not a BFK. It tucks into the shoulder strap of my BCD.

The usual reason advanced for leaving the BFK at home is the relatively high frequency of serious self-inflicted injuries while using them. I am questioning that received wisdom and wondering whether it mainly applies to people who don't know how to dive and people who don't know how to use a knife.

Over my years diving I have not seen the high frequency of serious self-inflicted injuries you cite. Although divers who are task loaded and don't know how to use a knife may get injured more easily, mostly they just drop the knife. Also, the real, read old, BFK does not have a very good edge unless you put it on yourself, and no one not farmiliar with knives would bother.

I carry my BFK as I have done for decades. I have added a Trilobite line cutter and shears as they are a lot more convenient for their intended uses than the BFK. Also the BFK was known, back in the day, as a dive tool due to it's ability to be used effectively as a prybar and hammer as well as a knife.

If I was a new diver now I would carry a knife and skip the BFK, but old habits...

Bob

I find this useful when placed in a pocket. Large fixed blade may be less useful, use case dependent.

C91SYL.jpg

I find this useful when placed in a pocket. Large fixed blade may be less useful, use case dependent.

C91SYL.jpg

I have the same one, but with the blunt tip. It serves as a back-up to my Trilobite.

C91SYL.jpg

I have the same one, but with the blunt tip. It serves as a back-up to my Trilobite.

BFK's are a just the tool for harvesting US west coast rock scallops. They don't just "jet" around sand bottoms like most scallops; they cement themselves to rocks that are too big for lift bags... devious bastards. :)

I carry a mini-knife in a plastic sheath, clipped to left chest D-ring, along with a safety sausage. I don't see the need for a large knife, and frankly have not used the little one much either.
In my pocket are EMT shears. One or the other should cut what needs cutting, as some cut-tasks can't be done with just one of them.

I have the XS FogCutter X two in one and it works great.

I had one of those once and was unconvinced that either the shears or the "DIR knife" would stay in the sheath provided.

Mine didn't. I lost my first pair of trauma shears within 10 dives using the DGX DIR sheath.

I then found the MSM trauma shears pouch and haven't lost any shears since.

MSM Shear Pouch - MIL-SPEC MONKEY STORE

Can't beat $8 for the pouch and $7 for the titanium coated shears from DGX. My current shears are over 2 years old and still seem fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom